Recent content by daern

1. D

Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Just chucking in my own experiences. I have a V5 N5105 i226-V, running Proxmox, OPNSense and a selection of containers doing various activities. Nothing with tremendously high workloads and it's been extremely stable over the last two months or so. I'd noticed that CPU temperatures were...
  2. D

(Proxmox + OPNSense) High host CPU with PCI NIC passthrough

Thanks, that's interesting. It's quite possible that I'll see the same now that I've (hopefully!) got the base OS configured correctly. I will probably revisit this testing once I've given things a few weeks to stabilise and try again. I have to admit that I feel more secure in having the WAN...
  3. D

Thanks! root@proxmox1:~# uname -a Linux proxmox1 6.2.11-2-pve #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC PVE 6.2.11-2 (2023-05-10T09:13Z) x86_64 GNU/Linux Will see how things go, but they were stable overnight. I probably need to stop fiddling with the whole environment now so I can be sure it's properly stable!
  4. D

Thanks, I only skimmed it myself, but I'm going to see how things settle down now that the microcode is in place and will take it from there. I'll read it more fully later tonight. The one thing I've not experienced yet is instability (it's only been a week or so though, with quite a few...
  5. D

Muuuch better. With PCI passthrough, I'm now shifting 1Gbps (to iPerf on OPNsense) with 0.88 load (< 50%) on OPNsense and 1.00 load (25%) on the host - a significant improvement! Easily saturating the 1Gbps link my PC has. Repeating the 45Mbps test above: Host Guest Idle 0.2 0.10...
  6. D

I've already updated to the latest kernel (Linux proxmox1 5.15.107-2-pve #1 SMP PVE 5.15.107-2 (2023-05-10T09:10Z) x86_64 GNU/Linux), but microcode was an excellent idea. I'd just kinda assumed that Debian would sort this out on first install, but obviously it's not quite that simple! Once the...
  7. D

Tested with PCI passthrough NICs for both LAN and WAN connections: perf kvm --host stat live Idle: VM-EXIT Samples Samples% Time% Min Time Max Time Avg time MSR_WRITE 271 83.38% 85.91% 0.80us 110364.06us 4884.78us ( +- 23.81%...
  8. D

@john389 Many thanks, great advice and I shall do so later tonight when I can mess around without upsetting the household.
  9. D

Hi all, Like many others (and with much thanks to the STH Youtube channel!), I'm now running what seems to be this year's high fashion of home firewall config: Aliexpress N5105 (i226-V version), using decent RAM and SSD (i.e. Crucial + Samsung) Proxmox (7.4-3 - clean install last week and...