Recent content by Curdie

1. C

Ryzen for production SQL?

You are mentioning a lot of features that I won't use in this build, which I think is a good sign that I'm on the right track. I'm not using enterprise monitoring tools and 64GB of ram is overkill. I'll have a lot of idle CPU cores... and I'm okay with that. Easier to keep it cool. Thanks a lot...
  2. C

Ryzen for production SQL?

I'm looking to upgrade the machine hosting my SQL Server. I'm currently running in a SYS-2028U-E1CNRT+ with a pair of E5-2680 v3 @ 2.50GHz. NVMe storage on a Broadcom 9460-16i (raid 1). SQL has all the RAM it could ever want. I only have a 6-core SQL license, and as a small business (60 users)...
  3. C

Unifi Strategy/16XG

Thanks for the info and advice, fellows! I've heard very good things about the MicroTik switches, but if the Unifi switch is solid I would really prefer to keep it all in the family. I believe I'll give it a go!
  4. C

Unifi Strategy/16XG

I've got a Cisco 48-port SFP+ switch. It's way too big, I need like ten ports max to connect all of my servers and switches. What's the story with the 16XG now? I know it was terrible on release. Is it reliable and functional now? Should I hang onto my loud and hot Cisco switch, or could I...
  5. C

Brocade MP8000 - 10Gbit switches

Thanks for the tip! Those N3K switches are pretty competitively priced- right around the same as Force10 switches of similar spec.
  6. C

I can also confirm this. I have very methodically tried everything. Brocade 1GB SFPs don't work in the FCoE ports and the FC ports (as far as I can tell) cannot be configured as switch ports. I wound up purchasing a 48-port Force10 switch with an expansion module for two SFP+ ports in order to...
  7. C

That's what I heard, too. Darned if I can figure it out though. I've scoured the docs and the CLI. Pretty certain it can't be done. Would *love* to be proved wrong :)
  8. C

It looks like this Brocade switch is 10000 only on the FCoE ports- but not on the FC ports. I believe I do have licenses to use those ports, and I remember reading that you *can* configure them for FCoE, but I sure can't figure out how. Frustrating!
  9. C

Maybe a better question is... Is there a 1 gig SFP that works in this switch? Thanks for the tips, by the way. And for the thread and this forum in general. Super helpful to get practical info from people who actually use this gear. <3.
  10. C

I see. Is it possible that I could use a Brocade 1 gigabit transceiver on my MP8000 to make this work, or is it likely to be 10 gigabit only?
  11. C

I purchased one of these along with some 1020Ns and some Brocade 57-0000075-01 transceivers. Works fine- except I can't connect my Cisco SG300 or Catalyst 2960 switches. The Cisco log reports: Error %LINK-E-PortParamNotSupported: Port gi4 doesn't support auto negotiation: enable parameter...