Recent content by Computer cats and more

1. C

$36 *USED* 6TB SAS Toshiba HDDs

Dang spinners are going up in price now? Not too long ago $5 a TB was the going rate for 6TB SAS drives.
  2. C

Looking for feedback on what models of "older" Dell PowerEdge servers people use powered Tesla GPUs in

It's cool that people are using newer cards in the servers. I had a customer that is using an RTX 6000 in their server. I should probably read the R730 manual. Since the R720 and R730 are basically the same layout I didn't think there would be a difference in configuration requirements. Also my...
  3. C

Efficient space heating

I should have looked to see where I started this year on my score but I am up to 130,000,000 points now. I think I started around 80,000,000 at the beginning of the year. At the height of things I was running 20 machines. I wish I knew if my score was good or not but it is an easy way to...
  4. C

Looking for feedback on what models of "older" Dell PowerEdge servers people use powered Tesla GPUs in

I have been making some custom GPU power cables to use in 12th and 13th gen Dell servers for a bit now. I am trying to dial in a final design though. I am curious to see what models of servers people are running powered NVIDIA Tesla cards in. From experience most of the people I have worked with...
  5. C

ESXi free 8.0 seems to be the last one !

I'm really bummed about it. I doubt my small business could afford/justify the licensing cost for Vsphere. I don't do anything serious with my servers beyond TrueNAS and some random windows VMs. Wish I would have grabbed the stuff for 8 before it was gone. Time to learn Proxmox like everyone...
  6. C

I'm bad at SSDs specs trying to decide between Intel 1.92TB S4500 and D3-S4510

Yeah I believe the S4500 can do around 3PB writes and the D3-S4510 6PB writes. Although I think I read somewhere the endurance depended on the type of writes being done. Over my paygrade though.
  7. C

I'm bad at SSDs specs trying to decide between Intel 1.92TB S4500 and D3-S4510

So I need a bunch of SSDs to build out a new server. It will basically be an overpowered NAS that I may occasionally use for server stuff too. I will be running a R730xd with the H730 and either RAID 6 or RAID 50 with the drives in groups of 8. I'd say on average I do 50GB of writes a day. Not...
  8. C

Got some money to burn and was thinking about replacing my Poweredge R720

It is really tempting, but prices are still too high for 14th gen Dell if I want NVMe support. I will be using a bifurcation card to add some NVMe though. Honestly it will be overkill for what I will be using it for. My 13TB SSD NAS is half full right now and decided I don't want to have to...
  9. C

[FS] [US] New WD SN630 3.84tb U.2 NVME SSD, (2) Used WD SN200 6.4tb U.2 NVME SSD, (1) Supermicro X10DRH-CT motherboard

That is crazy considering a SATA 4TB SSD nearly costs that much. Wish the server I'm looking at buying supported U.2 as I would almost consider buying a bunch of those.
  10. C

So getting closer to a plan. I recently got my hands on a GPU ready Dell T640, but it is too nice for me so probably gonna sell it. I'm buying a R730xd I plan on filling full of 2TB SSDs. I might replace my primary backup with a disk shelf. I will probably rebuild one of the old R720 into a...
  11. C

That is weird your R720 increased fan speed when you installed NVMe drives and later a RX580. I haven't ran those together in my system, but it had no reaction to them individually for me. Honestly the only thing that has influenced my R720 fan speeds was the Tesla K80 I had in it, and when I...
  12. C

It has all fans fortunately. I will have to see if it actually did the lifecycle hardware characterization process. Honestly it is just the server idle fan speed that annoys me.
  13. C

Preconfigured fan profiles as CyklonDX suggested. I tried setting it on the low fan profile through SSH, but the lowest it would go is 60% fan speed when idle which is ~12000 RPM. On my R720 60% is around 8000 RPM which is noticeably quieter. The nice thing about the R730 is it will...
  14. C

So I got a bunch of old laptops and was wondering if I could do something cool with them. Build a cluster?

So funny thing about the rendering. I'm too stubborn to pay $0.99 for the H.265 codec so I can edit H.265 video. I can't figure out how to get Davinci Resolve to encode H.264 using GPU. Basically I like making life difficult for myself. :p Although I may pay for Studio here soon if I start...
  15. C

So I got a bunch of old laptops and was wondering if I could do something cool with them. Build a cluster?

Yeah the render farm option for Davinci Resolve Studio is confusing the more I look at it. I may be able to use them to re-encode video with FFmpeg? I'm slowly learning that clusters don't work the way I thought. I thought they combined the processing power instead of it actually being more of...