Recent content by chx

1. C

USB3.2x2 10GbE adapters

As I noted under the answer to my superuser question (hi servethehome!) that answer is not quite satisfactory: benchmarks note over 8Gbps rather than 6Gbps. I rather believe the patents encumbering 10GbE made it uneconomical to do it. However, they expired last summer so I expect to see...
  2. C

NVMe adapter for 4 drives

You are looking for the JEYI iHyper M2X16. Amazon.com: JEYI iHyper M.2 PCIE3.0 X16 to 4X NVME Adapter Card PCIE3.0 GEN3 X16 to 4X NVME RAID Card PCI-E VROC Card: Computers & Accessories Also notable are the ANU24PE08 and ANU28PE16 cards both of which come with low profile brackets and despite...
  3. C

Cheap 1U PCIe M.2 Riser - why don't they exist?

GLOTRENDS Submarine I NVME Adapter, M.2 NVME to PCIE 3.0 X 4 Card it's cheating: the PCB is not long enough but the heatsink is. Also [USD 24.38] P16NM-01 self-card M 2 ssd pcie3 0 x4 x8 x16 full speed riser nvme - Wholesale from China online shopping | Buy asian products online from the best...
  4. C

Cheap 802.3bz switch or transciever?

Finally USB to 802.3bz adapters are available (2.5gbps at 50, 5gbps below 100 USD) I am wondering whether there are cheap solutions to switch 'em. Netgear has a few but even the GS110MX with only two multigig ports and eight gigabit is 200 USD. The cheapest multigig capable SFP+ transciever I...
  5. C

Bonding four plus one gbit/s connections?

I am looking at the Delock 62966 / IO Crest SY-HUB24047 this is a USB 3.0 to 4 x 1gbit/s Ethernet adapter, I believe they are Realtek RTL8153. The laptops are running Windows 10 Pro and they have a native Intel gigabit Ethernet to begin with. Would it be possible to create a 5gbit/s connection...
  6. C

2U PSU Help

I am very late to the party but FSP700-80WEPB is widely available (Amazon, etc) and it's Platinum.
  7. C

M28E1 shallower version?

The M28E1 is 200mm deep -- the 2.5" disks are only 100mm deep and the fan is 25mm tops. I wonder whether there is a similar 8-to-2 enclosure which is a) shallower b) actually manufactured now :)
  8. C

I am considering making a small (20L) SSI EEB capable tower case

There are a lot of factors -- there's no "better" option. Some of the priorities might include noise, cost, longer term maintenance and so forth.
  9. C

The Cerberus X is built with very different priorities and while it is possible it could accomodate a dual socket SSI EEB motherboard (305mm × 335mm is the max after all) the front PSU location would collide with socket #2 (and in general, with any motherboard longer than 271.5mm but there are...
  10. C

No, that's why I want to make one :D
  11. C

Cheap 1U PCIe M.2 Riser - why don't they exist?

That one is just 2280. The P16NM-01 v1.4 is available at P16NM-01自卡式 M.2 ssd pcie3.0 x4 x8 x16全速转接卡 nvme-淘宝网 and it claims only two in stock alas. Strangely this taobao proxy claims 79 in stock.
  12. C

With good airflow. Inspired by the Silverstone Fortress cases (and a little by the PS13). If this interests the esteemed forum members please head over to EATX / SSI EEB motherboard in SFF? A Fortress inspired case idea and let's chat.
  13. C

Supermicro SYS-E300-8D

I meant to use a video card which needs 1 PCIe slot but 2 PCIe slot covers because, well, it's a video card :) Low height, double wide.
  14. C

Supermicro UP 1U server with dual nvme advice

RAX XT10-1130V6-NVME you need to add a dual 10gbit card. Otherwise, as far as can I see, it ticks everything on your list and it's cheap E3 based -- even with the added cost of the 10gbit it's cheap. Very likely it's the X11SSL-nF motherboard in a 113MFAC2 chassis, both Supermicro. It's very...
  15. C

Supermicro SYS-E300-8D

I'm looking at this chassis -- even if not the entire pre-built machine -- I am planning on using an X11SSV-Q because it can be fed by 12V alone and an i5 7600T -- and then an 1050 Ti LP. I know, it's sacrilege but I am looking at modding the chassis a little. Could someone who has the chassis...