Recent content by Chris Web

1. C

AMD This is EPYC Campaign and AMD EPYC Updates

I have a bunch of opteron servers that have been running 24/7/365 for years now, many of them 8 years old now and still running fine. I also have a new epyc server that's been running fine as well as any Intel server I've had. Just because Intel is solid doesn't mean that AMD isn't Sent from...
  2. C

Very quiet rack mount server

The new HP servers are quiet as long as you don't add any non HP certified cards in it. You have to get HP pci cards to keep it quiet if you plan on expanding anything Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
  3. C

Tyan Motherboard Longevity

Just ordered the Tyan as the gigabyte is on backorder.. We'll see how it goes Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
  4. C

HDD as a back up media

Don't use ssd as a backup, they lose data when powered off quickly. There were some articles a few years ago. Hdd drives should last 10 years or more as an archive Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
  5. C

Why oh why Freenas 11.1 - mountroot

I was testing illumos and others. OMV was super easy to setup zfs, a couple of searches for the daily and weekly chron scripts and I was done. Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
  6. C

Why oh why Freenas 11.1 - mountroot

Try openmediavault Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
  7. C

What's the best alternative to FreeNAS?

Openmediavault. There's plug-in to support zfs.. Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
  8. C

When should I invest in a low TCP CPU?

If you are using it under load 24/7 then you will see some power savings, but if it's idle most of the time, I'd go with the newest xeons you can afford Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
  9. C

When should I invest in a low TCP CPU?

The newer xeons have very good power saving technology so idle power consumption is probably on par with low tdp parts. Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
  10. C

Who is the fraud, Unifi or Citron research?

Left And Citron: The Boy Who Cried Wolf? - Ubiquiti Networks, Inc. (NASDAQ:UBNT) | Seeking Alpha Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
  11. C

Sophos XG

What resources are you giving it? That might be why I ditched it Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
  12. C

Sophos XG

I tried it a year ago. I remember it looked good but was some reason I didn't use it. I probably need to look at it again. Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
  13. C

The whole stock market is over valued. Yes UBNT might be overvalued, but they make money and have very little debt, so the chance of them going under is slim. A lot of people might start shorting the market right now because they think its time for a correction, but I don't see an Enron here.
  14. C

They made $250 million last year and have $600 million in cash Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
  15. C

I have a bunch of clients using unifi, they aren't going anywhere. Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk