Recent content by Calmseas6

1. C

Home Network and server set up and questions

Thanks. I am definitely going to start playing with some other OS. I think there is a lot out there to explore and learn about. I did pick up an Intel Pro/1000 VT quad today for $15. Couldn't find an i350 write as low and it seems like the Pro will suit my needs. Keeping an eye on some H700 and...
  2. C

I will definitely look into this option, thanks for the tip! I have always used Windows because that is what I am most familiar with. Ultimately I will probably have to get away from it due to the cost of the licenses. I have used Hyper V for VMs in my home lab previously, so I would have to...
  3. C

Thank you for the response! I was worried about the RAM. Originally I was thinking about getting another 8gb dimm but now I am thinking 16gb is still going to be short, especially with multiple roles and potentially a VM or two running. I will probably have to hold off on setting up the raid...
  4. C

Hello all. New to the forum but have been know to lurk. Have fairly limited IT knowledge but have always built my own gaming and work PCs. Some years ago I retired an old 2gen i5 and set it up with WHS2011. It has since been upgraded to WS2016 Essentials. Either the power supply or mother board...