Recent content by bradslinux

1. B

iSCSI VM Data Store ?

Of course, to me the elegance of VMs are the portability. Then test away. :)
  2. B

iSCSI VM Data Store ?

Small Business setup for my work. Remotely hosted for 8 remote branch offices running 3 VM's on host 50 users logged in at any given time, primary use is as an application server for practice management software for eyecare offices. (Windows Server 2008r2....HUGE patient DB. Also provides DNS...
  3. B

Dell PowerEdge R630 – Opinions on how to use it in my current setup at home

With that setup, clustering the VM's and using storage spaces from the 2012R2 server you could build in failover redundancy with access to the shared storage (iSCSI, SMB3, NFS etc... Considering the usage environment (home) it is similar to hunting gnats with a 16" battleship gun, but both are...
  4. B

Dell PowerEdge R630 – Opinions on how to use it in my current setup at home

:0 Thats one serious piece of hardware for home use :D I LIKE IT! I am curious though what power draw will be at idle... and the db level :| I have been using 2012R2 and storage spaces for the past few months and so far I like it. It has been rock stable and my wife appreciates the presence of...
  5. B

X10SDV-TLN4F versus X10SRH-CLN4F for a Storage/Hyper-V server.

Aren't new builds a HOOT! LOL. About the ebay mobo thing... Over the years I have purchased several motherboards and even complete systems on ebay. I always look at the seller as the deciding factor. Are they a "private entity" or a business using ebay as another sales outlet? I typically steer...
  6. B

[Build help] Home pc for CAD and othe uses

Hi, I'm not sure if this would be a perfect fit, but it isn't a bad place to start and a lot cheaper than what you are looking at new, even if you upgrade it. We have several of these where I work. We don't use them for CAD, but it should be more than up to the task. HP z800 Workstation Xeon...
  7. B

A whole lotta work

Thanks again to everybody for the compliments. I plan on adding a "blank" panel to the front. I am having a hard time deciding on the species of wood to use....I know...decisions decisions... LOL. I will have to remove the stuff from the rack to make the slot in the bottom frame member, I will...
  8. B

A whole lotta work

Sans fans, I thought that's what I said. Cheers Brad
  9. B

A whole lotta work

Agreed! What is wrong with mixing the beauty of wood with beauty of technology? LOL As to the temps, I observed and compared at door open under 50-60% load, then closed the door and observed. This is actually why I am not too concerned about it. There is still nearly 20-25 deg before it hits TJ...
  10. B

My 2015 Workstation

Nicely done, I am becoming very curious about mini-itx as my workstation is starting to show its age.
  11. B

A whole lotta work

The airflow is a bit of a problem at the moment, The door actually leaves an open gap of about an 1/8th of an inch all the way around. Temps went up a little (5-7 deg C) as opposed to not being in an enclosure. I am planning on putting some holes or a slot in the bottom cross member of the...
  12. B

The High Wife-Acceptacnce-Factor Rack - a.k.a. the silent of the racks

In my house, this would have been grounds for divorce. LOL I feel you pain, I wanted to by an enclosed Mid Atlantic case..... my long suffering wife wouldn't even allow that. I can't wait to see what you come up with. Good luck! :)
  13. B

A whole lotta work

Yes it will, I'm 50 now...so I'll let the grand kid that inherits it worry about it ;). I guess they will get the lamp as well. Package deal LOL. Currently scouring ebay for a deal on a for a 1U KB/Mouse/Monitor/KVM tray setup.....Always wanted one of those, and a rackmount UPS would fill the...
  14. B

A whole lotta work

THANKS!!! It was a lot of fun...and gallons of persperation to build. Keeps me in the garage and out of the "dark web" ;) Which one? The L5420? Its a good processor, as to the servers, the Rackable is a fine server, it just sounds like a Gulfstream sitting on the tarmac and ready to take off...
  15. B

A whole lotta work

Build’s Name: Cherry Crate Operating System/ Storage Platform: Windows Server 2012 R2 (2x hyper-v guests for lab stuff) Server 1 CPU: 2x Intel Xeon L5420 (I like the low power usage) Motherboard: Supermicro X7DBN Chassis: Norco RPC-470 Power Supply: Enermax 750 I think.... Drives: 15x Hitachi...