Recent content by BradleyD

1. B

W790 Motherboard discussion thread

Question: Assume 2400 cpu. If attached to the Sage, it has the dual intel 10gb nics. What if one used the Ace and added an intel x550-T2 or maybe an x710-TL2 (forget the other built-in nics) Pricing of the 2 choices is comparable. Obviously, there are less pcie lanes on the 2400 (and the...
  2. B

Switching hardware question

I have moved toward using an A2SDi-H-TF which is a 3758 board from supermicro with 2 10gb rj45 ports on it. This is for a pfsense box although if Netgate ends up developing the SCLR os from the TSNR, that might be an option and would probably make my questions here not very relevant. There...
  3. B

Switching hardware question

I have some knowledge of switching and routing having used dd-wrt and now openwrt for years and also having set up vlans. My question is about switching speed to another device on the same vlan. Assume you have 2 computers that are able to send data at the max throughput of 10gbe (newer...
  4. B

New Xeon D

Not a telco. Just looking for a small business setup.
  5. B

New Xeon D

I have been looking for news of the new Xeon D chips for networking since STH announced them earlier this year New Intel Xeon D Networking Chips Are Coming . The article indicates that they would be sampling in 1H 17 with production beginning mid-year. I have seen nothing about them and have...
  6. B

Supermicro Denverton Motherboards

I saw in the SKU post here at STH that the 3758,3858, and 3958 should be QAT enabled. I went to Supermicro and looked at the different new denverton boards and they state that some have QAT, but have one 3758, 2 3858s, and one 3958 model where there is nothing about QAT on the spec pages...
  7. B

Question about sata dom ports

I am looking to build a server in the next few months and have been looking at different Supermicro motherboards. The ones I am leaning toward have different numbers of sata ports including the yellow powered superdom kind. I know that they are for sata dom flash drives, but I have something...