Recent content by BobTB

1. B

ESXi free 8.0 seems to be the last one !

I am actually leaning to use Triton Data Center (on premise install), with SmartOS, so far as I tried it is very nice. Has API for everything and you can also use GUI. Its just a little steeper learning curve compared to what I was used to (esxi). Needs a headnonde + compute nodes, which boot...
  2. B

There is also SmartOS with Triton Data Center, which is KVM, Bhyve, Docker, LX zones everything, and is quite mature, based in Illumos. For single machines you could also just go with OmniOS with more or less same functionality, but this is all CLI, very stable, with built in-kernel ZFS, SMB...
  3. B

Napp-it cs web-gui for (m)any ZFS server or servergroups

Sorry, it seems that there was some bug, if I named it X1, it did not work. After renaming it as test, it works! :) This is amazing! Very nice work. I will finally be able to use this with SmartOS / Triton. Now all we need is send/receive replication!
  4. B

It actually works. Running this on SmartOS (Triton Headnode) The problem I have it that when trying to run any command, I get the following error The server can be added, and reports as this. What can I do?
  5. B

Perhaps create an illumos zone in SmartOS with perl, it will be persistant in this case, right? Or even a zone running OmniOS. Do you think this would work?
  6. B

Esxi free is dead. Alternative?

This sounds mighty nice, send/receive replication would be possible then too
  7. B

xpc-ng or proxmox, both will do. Free, simple to install.
  8. B

well, currently bloody installer just makes it possible to install it in UEFI, but then it panics the same way as in BIOS mode. Will see if some further progress will happen, in the meantime I will try to run it on some KVM based hypervisor, to see it it works. I am also looking at SmartOS...
  9. B

Most certainly they will, and soon. Sadly.
  10. B

VMs inaccessible by hostname after doing changes to network

Your DNS is mixed up. You have some .local and some .lan domains. decide what to use and set all to be the same.
  11. B

Hm, great idea. I was also looking at RKE2+ Rancher. Thank you for the Ceph confirmation, I thought I do not know how to set it up on my test machine, its so incredibly really slow.
  12. B

imho xcp-ng is still the closest to what esxi does for me. Sadly I can not get omnios/solaris/illumos to run on it. Omnios installs even, but crashes on boot. I am thinking (not) of completely redoing it all, and go with some distributed file system, so I will have like 6x more points of...
  13. B

Just to say, we have been using ZFS snaps for a decade, and when tested they always worked, yes, it was is if the power was unplugged, but it did load the VM and run from the backup. btw, somehow I dont like proxmox. Seems like a house of cards, thrown together with a hope that it will work.
  14. B

It does. Its called XO Lite and you have native management of the node itself, currently start/stop console, some statistics, but still missing some other features, but it is being developed to be available soon with full feature set.