Recent content by bob80

1. B

Daily use CPU advice

Indeed the L5640 would have been the best choice: low tdp, six core, more cache and 32nm, unfortunately it is a bit too expensive for me.
  2. B

Daily use CPU advice

Another question: where can I find a suitable CPU cooler? Can't I use a standard aftermarket CPU cooler, right?
  3. B

Daily use CPU advice

I think I'll go for the L5630 due to its lower TDP and cheap price. The x5670 would be nice but is too expensive.
  4. B

Daily use CPU advice

Hello everyone, I would like to upgrade my Dell Poweredge T410 with a pair of new CPUs since I've seen that Lga1366 Xeon are pretty cheap to get on ebay. At the moment I have a Xeon E5520 with 6GB of memory. I use the server as a normal desktop computer to be honest, so I do not need a lot of...
  5. B

Cheap 2U rack chassis

I think I'll buy this one :) https://ri-vier.eu/rivier-standard-2u-chassis-rv216n-p-326.html?cPath=1_3_5 Edit: shipping costs are about 50€ :( half the price of the chassis, that's so sad. This one would cost 135€ shipped but I have to buy a 2U psu...
  6. B

Cheap 2U rack chassis

We have ebay but there aren't interesting deals... :/
  7. B

Cheap 2U rack chassis

What a pity :( Unfortunately it seems that neither Norco nor Rosewill chassis' aren't sold in Europe...
  8. B

Cheap 2U rack chassis

No one can help me ? :(
  9. B

Cheap 2U rack chassis

Hi guys, here I am again :) This time I'm looking for advices for a cheap 2U rack chassis for my home server, I already have an enclousure to fit the chassis in. An important thing is that I live in Italy...I don't want to "waste" too much money for the shipping. Which case do you suggest...
  10. B

Help me choosing the right OS

Indeed, my server will be used in a home enviroment with gigabit ethernet :) I'd like to spend my mone in hw more than in sw so I'll go with linux
  11. B

How do I manage raid with windows server?
  12. B

Yes, I know. I will try both of them and decide which one is better :) I'll keep you updated :)
  13. B

Thank you guys :) I will try as soon as possible to configure a Linux based config to see if things work properly, I'll setup a raid using mdam/SnapRAID. Another thing: how do I share my volume among windows based home's PCs (CIFS?) ?
  14. B

Do I have to manage disks via software?
  15. B

Hi Patrick, thank you for the suggestion :) How do I manage my disks with Ubuntu, do I have to buy a hardware raid card ? Other question: Napp-it can be used with which OS ? Is it free right ?