Recent content by BlackHole

1. B

silverstone cs381 - Any news?

Nothing really new, I'm afraid. I've seen "Q1" repeated in various places. There seems to be something official on F*acebook, but I won't go there. Further, there are some launch parties scheduled for 03-23 and 03-30, cf. SilverstoneTek Home page (links to F*cebook, see above). My guess is...
  2. B

silverstone cs381 - Any news?

One notable line from the linked page: 'All the cases shown here are in their final forms. However, availability and pricing were not revealed during our visit.' I'd read that like the designs are finished and ready for production. Doesn't sound too bad, IMHO. At least makes this a question of...
  3. B

HPE ProLiant Microserver Gen10 Advice/ Suggestions

Yes. Pretty please. I do not know what happened between AMD and HPE when the Microserver Gen10 was designed, but it looks like a total contingency operation. As far as I know there is no other device using a Opteron X3000 series CPUs - and I find that odd.
  4. B

8-bay cases for MicroATX

Yeah, seems to be a very rare case indeed. However, from the datasheet it seems like there's only a sole 120mm fan. I really doubt that's a wise choice to keep 8 spinners + a non-Atom system cool. So from my POV not a big loss. Eyeballing the datasheet, adding a second 120mm fan should not have...
  5. B

Updates on Silverstone CS381 ?

I am waiting as well... Found this on reddit: Silverstone CS381 pushed back (again) : HomeServer 'estimated release has been pushed back to Q1 2019' I contacted the local distributor. CS380 is out of stock for 6+weeks, but they deny any knowledge of any upcoming next-gen case. Doesn't bode well.
  6. B

Chinese backdoors on Supermicro

Just a quick thought: While everyone focuses on the BMC, there is another management facility: Intel ME. Intel ME has more access to the host than the BMC. The ME is known to have (had) 'quality issues'. The ME has networking capabilities. An attack could work the similar as for the BMC...
  7. B

Q: Low idle power home server/NAS

There seems to be some confusion going on here. The suggestion was made to have a two-tier setup. The RasPi is supposed to run the stuff that really needs to run 24/7 - and fire up a proper system on-demand, on-time or whatever I can automate. Details: see above. Thanks for sharing your...
  8. B

First: RasPi is still in shipping, so no real news there. TY for your very useful information. The PSU, eh, wall wart I ordered is a RasPi approved model, so I hope that means what I think it means... I was planning to attach an SSD via USB already, but never considered installing the OS on...
  9. B

Cooling for server rack in garage

Aye. In-Rack AC with external radiator and putting that outside the garage might be an efficient option. Installation is not that bad - insulated tubing + power + condensation management. However you might have to check if the external parts can handle the environment, i.e. sub-freezing in my...
  10. B

Yeah, in terms of pure economy it's not even worth thinking about it if you're in a proper job (even at 3 times the power costs like I pay). Just use whatever you like/have and do one billable hour additionally per year - and come out ahead. But, hey, it's a hobby. My thoughts exactly once you...
  11. B

Anyone got a 4k transcoding, FreeNAS machine? (ITX, IPMI, ECC)

Just for completeness sake, there's also the option to use E3 1500 Xeons featuring Iris Pro Gfx (mobile derivatives) in case the normal iGPU hasn't enough omph. They are, IMHO, pretty pricey, though.
  12. B

Anyone got a 4k transcoding, FreeNAS machine? (ITX, IPMI, ECC)

Did you consider Xeon 1200v6 or Xeon-E CPUs with iGPU? This'd give you QuickSync, and thus sounds pretty appropriate for your used case. IIRC ITX, IPMI, 6 SATA possible - requires UDIMMs though Yeah, the mainboard situation for Ryzen is bad if you're not looking for cheap, gaming, bling, or all...
  13. B

TY for the info. I am aware of the spindown issue and am running desktop HDDs. I get on average 1 spinup/day, since most data transfer is either some large bulk or some continuous streaming. So I am not too worried. I provide other data, say the ownCloud DB and the 'Documents' network storage...
  14. B

Thanks for all the answers! Oooh, I wasn't aware of that. Very useful information. Did some googling and found some data at Intel Core i7 8700K / i5 8600K / i5 8400 'Coffee Lake' review: affordable six cores! From the link: 32W to 40W (full system incl. 1080Ti) - Kaby-Lake is approx. 8W lower...
  15. B

Caution: Wall of text incoming Hi everyone, my current HP Microserver Gen7 is overdue for retirement. It served me well as a home server/NAS all in one box. Looking forward, I'd like something more powerful to separate things a bit better - VMs or containers I haven't decided yet. The Gen10...