Recent content by Big_O

1. B

My Customised SFF Home Server Build

Afraid not just don't have the free time these days. Give it a go yourself, a kinda fun little project! Easiest option is to just mount on the outside left and right of the HDD brackets (ones facing the outside of the case). Alternatively, THIS is another option using a 3D printed bracket. I...
  2. B

Well, UK pricing not much better to be honest! A WD Red costs £480 and a WD Elements external to shuck is £406. Worth keeping an eye out for Black Friday etc offers, when I got mine for much less.
  3. B

No worries! I'm running 6x 20tb WD 'white lable' drives, these were shucked from WD Elements when on offer so not toooooo expensive. Not using zfs in unraid (for now) but do have 1x disk as parity, giving a total of 100TB storage. Running 2x 1TB Samsung Evo SSD's as cache for the aray, also...
  4. B

Thanks! Custom cables are pretty straight forward when you get the hang of it, just a bit time consuming. I always seem to go a bit over the top with builds, THIS is one of my older ones using a modified Fractal R5 case if you're interested. Build costs are on the partpicker listing HERE, let...
  5. B

Thanks, yea custom sata power cables are pretty straight forward to make, lots of guides to follow on YouTube with different braiding options. Mod DIY have useful pin-out guides. Then just need some custom cable bits, I'm uk based and use Mod PC. A decent set of crimping tools is very useful.
  6. B

Build’s Name: My Customised SFF Home Server Build Full Spec: PartPicker Link Usage Profile: Unraid Server for Containers, VM's and Storage Server Time to upgrade my home server again, decided to down size from my current Fractal Design XL to something smaller and more power efficient...
  7. B

Home 'All In One' Server Build

Yea, thought about having the connectors at the back of the drives as would have made removing easier, but wanted the custom cables visible. It's not often I need to remove a drive so no hassle disconnecting any way, especially as they're not hot-swappable.
  8. B

Project Plex Expansion

Nice build. There's not many options for a desktop case with large disk capacity, I ended up just modifying my Fractal R5 case in the end. The Fractal 7 XL that been recently released would be a good option now though. But yea, a server case seems to be the way to go. I really like this build...
  9. B

It's pretty easy to make custom power cables to be honest, well worth having a go. It's satisfying being able to make cables the length and colour you want, makes for a nice tidy case. I bought the various bits and pieces from a few places over the years, usually Pexon, modDIY or eBay, but...
  10. B

Ha ha, thanks, love a bit of snooker :) Yea getting Fractal spares is a bit difficult sometimes. They only seem to have one spare parts store in europe, based in Germany: fractal-design-shop.de
  11. B

Case Mods…. Phase 4 Got a bit board and fancied a little project, so decided to add a stat screen to the server. On the front of the case there are two 5.25 bays, with two removable covers. Perfect to fabricate a removable display bracket. Found a Waveshare 4” screen for a Raspberry Pi that...
  12. B

Minor upgrades…. Phase 3 A few minor upgrades, firstly over the last year. Upgraded to Server 2019 and moved from Storage Spaces to Snapraid + Drivepool, a much more flexible solution. I’ve swapped out 6 of the 4TB drives with 8TB drives, running dual parity still so gives me 48TB of storage...
  13. B

Running out of space…. Phase 2 Was running low on storage again, so needed to add some more disks. I could have just put the 5.25 bays back in and used some 3.5 adapters, or bought a 4U rack mount case with lots of drive bays, but where the fun in that. The Fractal R5 comes with a 5 bay and a 3...
  14. B

Build’s Name: Home 'All In One' Server Full Spec: PartPicker Link Usage Profile: Plex Server, VM's, Storage Server This is a build thread for my home server i've been keeping since January 2017, thought it would be worth posting here. Using a modified Fractal R5 case, Raspberry Pi and...