Recent content by Bert

1. B

14 TB WD Easystore $200 @BestBuy

Mine is an old Samsung 250GB drive.
  2. B

LGA 3647 CPU cooler installation (Possibly water cooling block)

Well there is narrow one but its price is eye watering: https://www.titanrig.com/watercool-heatkiller-iv-pro-for-intel-xeon-narrow-ilm-03-20-wc-0174-01-on.html?queryID=a1c20c4eb5ccba4c68cbfb790fded88f&objectID=41832&indexName=titan_live_default_products I see that this one would work. Thanks a...
  3. B

Is this the new generation EK waterblock? https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-annihilator-pro-square-ilm This one also does not come cpu carrier. Will it work with standard CPU carriers?
  4. B

Thanks. I bought the EVGA SR-3 and it does not come with a carrier. I didn't get one thing. Are the wrong placed holes on the EK waterblock? Did you simply use the EK waterblock without the carrier? There is also this waterblock, should I consider that one: Bykski CPU-SKYLAKE-E-V3 CPU Water...
  5. B

I successfully installed the CPU by following the recommendations here. My first attempt was with a vanilla 1U CPU cooler but I want to switch to water cooling and AFAIS, water blocks do not come with CPU carrier. My motherboard didn't come with a CPU carrier as well and AFAIS, cpu carriers are...
  6. B

EPYC Naples (gen1) CPU on latest H12SSL SP3 motherboard work?

I would like to also check on that. Are we able to use Naples CPUs on a H12SSL? According to this thread, there is no motherboard that supports 3 versions of EYPC: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/asrock-wont-support-epyc-milan-on-the-epycd8-epycd8-2t.32352/ This is really...
  7. B

EVGA SR-3 and Xeon CPUs

I received a good offer, $500+ tax, on this motherboard and I had a xeon CPU and pulled the trigger on this motherboard to be used as workstation. Does anyone have any experience on this platform? I am hoping that this will be a cost effective replacement of my current dual 2690V4 on an intel...
  8. B

looking for free OS for my server

Just create cheet sheet for your commands. This does the trick for me. With Linux or any other server OS, there is no avoiding of cmd line.
  9. B

looking for free OS for my server

I am using debian + XFCE. It works great for me. Ubuntu has richer UI experience.
  10. B

14 TB WD Easystore $200 @BestBuy

There were reports that these enclosures cannot be used for other drives but I was able to make them work with an old 250GB sata drive. It might be useful to save a few of the onboard cards to use as a basic usb adapter for sata drives.
  11. B

APC SMT1500 UPS fails to power devices after power cut, bad battery?

Oh darn, this is so much tweaking for my taste; I have a few other projects going on, tweaking UPSs will not be in the short list. A Btw, this is exactly what happens with me, during self test, UPS shuts down without completing the test and fails to report the issue and everything looks great...
  12. B

What does fry mean here? Will it kill the battery or will it cause fire? I definitely don't want fire hazard in my house
  13. B

This is for home usage. There is no risk of losing important data. I just want to keep my internet and File Server up and running during intermittent power failures. We get these one second power interruptions during wind storms for some reason and then I have to restart my file server and Pdu...
  14. B

I bought an APC UPS from a local seller. Seller claimed that UPS is 2 years old but when I checked the timestamp on the UPS, it says 8 years old. Initially, all signals from the UPS looks good on the steady state, it even says it passed the self-test. It gives several hours of runtime for...