bayleyw's latest activity

• B
    under $500: 2080 Ti 22G ($430) best deal: used 3090 (about $750) you want a relatively recent nvidia card with tensor cores, ideally...
  • B
    bayleyw replied to the thread SXM2 over PCIe.
    do you get any MCE's in dmesg before the devices drop off the bus? if so definitely telltale of bad PCIe signaling.
  • B
    ok, thanks. so about 1200 all in for the GPUs and trimmings except the case, or 1900 if you add the waterblocks (are there any cheaper...
  • B
    if you go by 'median trustworthy looking' ebay/taobao pricing it is 750 for the GPUs, 300 for the board not counting shipping, and...
  • B
    800 for the GPUs, plus AOM-SXMV, risers, heatsinks, fans, and whatever contraption you build to mechanically hold it all together gets...
  • B
    somewhat off topic but speaking of mixed precision on a budget, check out these beauties (eBay link): for $165 you get 2x16+1x8 out...
    • s-l1600.jpg
  • B
    the user I was replying to is clearly interested in mixed precision AI work (transformers and stable diffusion)...I did have a lively...
  • B
    probably better off with 2x 3090 at the same price. quoting myself from earlier: and also, training resnet50 at high batch size is...
  • B
    bayleyw replied to the thread L40S vs RTX 6000 ADA - for LLMs.
    sure, if you have a revenue model which supports finetuning (some do) but many (most?) genAI apps are inference only
  • B
    bayleyw replied to the thread L40S vs RTX 6000 ADA - for LLMs.
    you don't host your own inference servers not because its not scalable, but because its not elastic. you have to buy sufficient hardware...
  • B
    does Volta actually show significant efficiency gains over Pascal? TSMC 12nm was an optimized version of TSMC 16nm, not a shrink, so I...
  • B
    you were saying that you wanted Volta because it had tensor cores that you might use in the future, I'm arguing that by the time you get...
  • B
    I've definitely seen them run on PCIe adapters. What server did you test on?
  • B
    The problem with Volta is it is on the verge of being dropped from mainstream frameworks and libraries. I would expect the sunsetting to...
  • B
    V100 is only 7 Tflops per card, nowhere close to 2x faster. But, if your code is locked to Volta or newer CUDA features then there isn't...