Recent content by badatSAS

1. B

ESXi home lab

crap when did ESXi 5.2 come out?
  2. B

Resource Monitoring and Analysis

I'm a ProactiveNet guy myself, but that may be a little too hardcore for your environment - and expensive. But it's also going to be the only one to send you an email telling you your disk throughput is off from typical before the disk even has time to throw a SMART warning ;)
  3. B

The drive cannot be extended because the number of clusters will exceed the maximum

Two of the three times I've lost data on a harddrive not due to mechanical failure were because partition magic messed something up. I still haven't had the built in microsoft tools eat my data. Best of luck.
  4. B

The drive cannot be extended because the number of clusters will exceed the maximum

Classic "Crossing the river with a wolf, a pig, and a cabbage" logic problem brought into 21st century technology =)
  5. B

Heres one idea - 1. shrink the current volume down to the size of the existing data 2. create a new volume with new sector size in the free space on the array 3. move as much data from old volume into new volume as possible 4. rinse and repeat until complete could always have two volumes...
  6. B

FlexRAID - Snapshot & Realtime RAID + JBOD Pooling

I wrote a very long response that got wiped out by accident when i refreshed the page, so heres the short version: FlexRAID is good for media storage that's not frequently updated. Write speed: Speed of the raw disk being written to. Read speed: Same. Parity is calculated on a scheduled...
  7. B

Mobile Data Center building block?

Mowing speed is 5 miles per hour - whether you can still go 17mph with the blades on, but disabled, isn't listed
  8. B

Mobile Data Center building block?

So I ran into this earlier today - The RAVEN Multi Purpose Rider - YouTube Short version: Ride on Lawn Mower - Check! ATV with 500 lb tow rating - Check! 7.1kW Generator with 30A plug - Check! Talk about riding out the storm - haul the server and the UPS it's connected to to...
  9. B

Samsung 840 SSDs as zilog/l2arc?

Guys based on all of the unknowns with the new TLC they put in the Samsung 840, I can't think of a worse (latest model) drive to buy for this. Samsung 830's or Samsung 840 Pro with MLC - tried and true, known good, but the 840's limitation of write cycles with the new TLC NAND scares the crap...
  10. B

Separate true B/S/T from people linking to their eBay auctions

What are your thoughts on having a separate section for people to link to their active eBay auctions instead of the main B/S/T? Kind of goes against rule #2 of "must post a price, no auction style". Although Rule #1 (Put what you're selling in the title) also somewhat contradicts rule #4 (Only...
  11. B

IBM M1015 Firmware - What to flash with

It uses PCIe lanes, documentation seems confused whether it's using 8x lanes or 4x - both are listed in the same PDF spec. It coexisted without an issue with my Dell H700 in a 16x slot (8x electrical) and an H310 in an 8x slot (4x electrical), but may have made it so my USB3 PCIe adapter...
  12. B

Fun night so far. Tried to flash to 9211 following your guide on ltv2g.com, hit the "PAL" error in DOS, booted in EFI shell and got the "failed to validate mfg page 2" when trying to flash the 9211 rom. Was able to flash the RMS2LL080 firmware without issue however, will see if this does what...
  13. B

I just got an Intel RMS2AF080 for my S1200BTLR. Has RAID5 enabled, which is super except as we all know the SAS2008 without cache or battery is pretty useless. So I think I'm going to take a whack at flashing it to an RMS2LL080, which as far as I can tell will give me pass-through of...
  14. B

Supermicro/Ablecom Redundant PSU Modifications

That is exactly who I bought it from. Sorry I haven't switched off the switch yet to hear the PSU - every time I think to do it my wife is playing <some stupid game on facebook> and she'd kill me. I ordered some new 6" patch cables to neaten up my rack so there will be forced downtime in the...
  15. B

1 IP, multiple web servers?

The problem with doing a walkthrough for this is that it would be vastly different instructions depending on: Your DNS server Your router/network configuration Operating System etc..