Recent content by b-rex

1. B

Hyper-V vs Vsphere - my initial take

To be honest, nobody other than those willing to ride the edge, are willing to talk up either S2D or vSAN. I've deployed both and from my experience they both have their niches but for on-prem deployments, a lot of admins, particularly storage admins hate the idea of vSAN and S2D. That's even...
  2. B

Rant about VMware...

In deployments greater than 4 nodes with all-flash, hyperconverged or using SOFS, S2D performs better than vSAN. There are few that would disagree. Even hybrid configurations do perform better. For comparison, a 2-node demo cluster I built with consumer grade SSD and HDD (both SATA) outperformed...
  3. B

Fusion ioDrive2 Weirdness with Passthrough...

No idea what actually fixed this. I forced a firmware downgrade...completely removed driver, reinstalled, made a modification to the device index for each, upgraded firmware...then voila...they both work at the same time. Pretty annoying really. I purchased a replacement just in case, just...
  4. B

Fusion ioDrive2 Weirdness with Passthrough...

I have two Fusion ioDrive2 in each of my 8 hosts. They're working fine, for the most part with a couple weird exceptions. Still, they're cheap, even open box/brand new, and they're quick. I picked up four more for my VMware setup and installed them, 2 per host. I've been having issues with them...
  5. B

Three complete failures in a month! Intel SSD Issues...

Just lost a 1.6TB S3610 at home ($$$) and an S3520 at work. :oops:
  6. B

Advice on buying refurbished/used HHHL PCIe SSD drive

Or the guy realized that he should be selling them for far more than $200...
  7. B

Yeah, the SN150 is an older drive...but a steal at $200. HGST was bought out by Western Digital. It doesn't mean anything about that particular product. Are there better NVMe out there? Sure. But essentially brand new with zero hours and performance, good luck finding a comparable one from...
  8. B

Are you the one person selling these on eBay right now for $199? The rest are quite a bit more....
  9. B

You've bought hundreds of P3605? The Oracle F160? For what?
  10. B

Prices on this stuff are always all over the place though. I bought my brand new P3608 for just north of $400. When you look elsewhere, some are still selling them for $3000 or more. The devices I received were in box, had 3 years of warranty left (although Intel won't honor the warranty unless...
  11. B

I take that back...they're claiming 0 hours on their listing on eBay. If that's the case, they're a damn good deal.
  12. B

Yeah, I've seen those. The same seller has them on eBay for 189, or at least it was awhile back...and they're used. I mean...I'm somewhat jaded because I've been burned pretty badly by used drives as of late so I tend to try to find the "open box" deals. They're out there! That being said, if...
  13. B

VMware - Nexus 1000v

Hi Everyone... Is anyone still using these? I dumped these a long time ago because well...for most cases vDS was fine. However, I have a couple of uses for one now on 6.7 and was wondering if there are any gotchas I should be aware of.
  14. B

What brand? My general observation has been that the only HHHL SSD out there for that price are FusionIO, old Intel NVMe P-Series, and some Micron. The Samsungs are usually pretty outrageous, even for being heavily used in many cases, the P3608s from Intel, still one of their best NVMe, are...
  15. B

Three complete failures in a month! Intel SSD Issues...

Yeah, I decided to take the risk on the ones I have left with more frequent back-ups and more detailed SMART monitoring. I'm just going to hope for the best. As for the comment about Samsungs - I know someone who uses 840/850 in servers. I'm not kidding. He was saying he's even got EVOs out...