Recent content by AndreiL

1. A

Cisco ASR920

OK, got a new 9396PX, got a pretty good deal I think. Does anyone know if these come with 4post rack rails included or do I have to buy those extra; the vendor doesn't know.
  2. A

Cisco ASR920

Having done a bit more research, Cisco Nexus 3K is looking pretty good to me. We actually run a pair of 9Ks in one of our data facilities and they've been rock solid, but we only use L2 features on these 9Ks. Any feedback on Cisco Nexus 3K? Am I heading in the right direction there? The...
  3. A

Cisco ASR920

I am considering this device to replace software routers (Vyos) that are not cutting it anymore. The main requirement is to terminate 4 10Gbps links and route between them at full line rate, 40Gbps in total. Production traffic on all 4 links can be very bursty. The routing table is pretty small...
  4. A

Mellanox Onyx image

There is an intermediate step where you install a base ONYX version and than go through the update process. You need a special software package to install base ONYX on an ONIE switch, supplied by Mellanox through a support contract/upgrade purchase.
  5. A

Mellanox Onyx image

Yes, I saw that one, it's very old. The last released version is 3.9.3112, looking for that one.
  6. A

Mellanox Onyx image

Does anyone have access to last Onyx image and willing to share?
  7. A

HP FlexFabric 10Gb 2-port 533FLR-T does only offer 1 or 10 GBit speed - no 2,5 or 5 GBit ?

No, this NIC will not link-up at 2.5/5 Gb. The reason is: this NIC is a 10GBASE-T and this standard is older than the newer 2.5GBASE-T and 5GBASE-T standards covering 2.5 GbE and 5 GbE, as a result 10GBASE-T NICs are only backwards compatible to 1000BASE-T and only support 10GbE and 1GbE
  8. A

since 2.5G switches are rare, 10G switches abound, please try Sabrent TH-3WEA USB3 -to- 10G as an adapter

10G switches typically support only 1G and 10G speeds. There are some that can do 1/2.5/5/10G, but they are rare and expensive.
  9. A

Mellanox Onyx update

I was able to get a good deal on SN2700 switch, but it has a pretty old MLNX-OS release on it. Does anyone have access to a recent release and willing to share?
  10. A

Looking for: Introduction to Fibre Optics for the Copper Cable user

Those are proprietary interfaces using multiple wavelengths instead of a single 850nm one. There are all kinds of vendor proprietary interfaces available. Standards-based 100GBASE-SR4/40GBASE-SR4 is defined only over the single 850nm wavelength and 4 parallel rx/tx pairs. I guess I was a bit...
  11. A

Solarflare SFN7501? SFP+ Alternatives?

I've installed a few SFC9120 based cards, they are running fine, but one thing I don't like is that they run incredibly hot. I've been staying away from them and have been deploying Intel ones.
  12. A

"Should be" is the salient detail in that document; if people much smarter than me can figure out how to squeeze 100Gbps into a single 850nm frequency than, yes, MPO12 should be future proof. 100Gbps was first available with 10 parallel 10Gbps streams over MPO24, using 20 strands (10tx/10rx)...
  13. A

Suggestion for cheap ToR switch 25GbE with some 100GbE ports

It's hard to call anything in 25/100GbE cheap as this is the current generation hardware in many data centers, 200/400GbE being state of art. Mellanox SN2700 is 25/100GbE (all ports) and seems to be "cheaper" than SN2410 on flea-bay, but still 3-5K.
  14. A

Let's clear-up some terminology 1st to make sure we are talking about same things: SR4 means short-reach, 4 tx/rx pairs, so that would be a QSFP transceiver with MPO/MTP coupling. SFP is commonly single tx/rx pair with LC coupling. There are QSFP transceiver with LC coupling, but these are not...
  15. A

You can run as many strands as you need to, terminate them on patch panels and label each tx/rx pair. You can run individual strands or get a parallel/bunched trunk cables with as many strands as you need. If you only need a few tx/rx pairs, I'd run LC pre-terminated cables and be done with it...