Recent content by ajs

1. A

Benchmarking SSDs - what tools do you use?

When benchmarking SSDs you want to precondition the NAND in order to reach a steady state. The precondition workload will have an impact to following performance. This is heavily dependent on how the SSD architecture is setup, but typically for a random workload benchmark you want to...
  2. A

[eBay] - Supermicro A2SDi-4C-HLN4F - $100 (offer accepted)

Nice board, keep in mind the PCIe 4x slot is shared with 4 of the SATA ports.. so either you can have: 8 SATA + no pcie 6 SATA + 2x pcie 4 SATA + 4x pcie For $100 that is a deal.
  3. A

Long Generic Test Fail (Seatools), can it be fixed by "fix all long?"

By "fixing" the failures the write is remapping the bad sectors to spares. Assuming when you write the same area you don't get more failed sectors the problem should be taken care of. I'd run your own burn in test with badblocks. Do the default "destructive" write/read test, which does...
  4. A

WTB: U-Nas 810 or 810A w/ power

Curious what motherboard you plan on using with the u-nas case?
  5. A

EXPIRED Asus X570-P $127 @ Amazon

I ordered this for my 3700x build. Great deal for a what seems solid board. Anyone have any experience with this motherboard?
  6. A

WTB: IcyDock FatCage MB154SP-B

This is a long shot, but does anyone have one of these IcyDock 3 to 4 bay SATA hotswap cages? Model number MB154SP-B MB154SP-B_3.5" EZ-Tray Cages_3.5" HDD CAGES_ICY DOCK manufacturer Removable enclosure, Screwless hard drive enclosure, SAS SATA Mobile Rack, DVR Surveillance Recording, Video...
  7. A

Supermicro X10DRG-Q Motherboard Dual Socket R3 $200+shipping

Be aware this board is a proprietary form factor.. not sure what chassis you can fit it in. Form Factor Proprietary Dimensions 15.2" x 13.2" (38.61cm x 33.53cm)
  8. A

How common are bad SATA cables?

I've ran into a number of bad cables. If you see any dma or bus errors, that is typically due to the cable.
  9. A

[FS][US] Moving Sale!Intel SSDs, Xeon CPU, Precision 7820 Workstation, Ryzen itx build

Do you know what idle power consumption is for the X10SDV-2C-TP8F system?
  10. A

[WTB] Brocade ICX6450-24p

Looking for the PoE version Brocade ICX6450-24p. May also consider a 7250-24p. Located in MN 55378. Thanks!
  11. A

FS: Brocade ICX7250-24

Darn, I am looking for a PoE version as well (6450-24p or 7250-24p). If you don't mind me asking, what ebay listing did you purchase from?
  12. A

Looking for replacement of power hungry MD1000

with 15 SAS drives, those alone are probably drawing 75W spun up....
  13. A

Looking for replacement of power hungry MD1000

Consolidate to a set of mirrored 10TB drives and ditch the DAS. I'd also replace the X8SIL-F/L3426 as more modern hardware will be much more power efficient. X10/E3-12xx v3 is a good middle ground for cost/power efficiency.
  14. A

[FS][US-MN] Supermicro X10SRH-CF + Xeon E5-2660V3 + 32GB DDR4, SAS Cables, SAS836TQ Backplane

I have a SAS836TQ backplane from my CSE836 chassis with SAS -> SATA breakout cables. $50 takes all (or priced individually below). Supermicro SAS836TQ backplane. Fits CSE836 chassis. (https://www.supermicro.com/manuals/other/BPN-SAS-836TQ.pdf) - $30 shipped Four MiniSAS to SATA cables for...