Recent content by 10baggerclub

1. 1

Firmware package for Samsung SM883/MZ7KH3T8HALS

thanks for the heads up... I want to see the change log between HXT7904Q, HXT7A04Q, now HXT7B04Q, and of course the FW file for HXT7B04Q but I guess my daughter would find her unicorn before I find these LOL
  2. 1

well, data retention is one thing (then the data retention is spec'ed for 3 months @ warranty exhausted TBW, not at zero TBW state) and abnormal early failure is another. which 128 or higher layer Samsung drives seem prone to. Seems like more layers is inversely proportional to durability...
  3. 1

I am just stating my observations: - all the models that had problems lately had 128 or higher layers (870EVO, 980 PRO, PM9A1, 970 EVO Plus Elpis controller version, 990 Pro) - No widespread issues reported on any of the 64 layer models
  4. 1

SM883 is 64 layer MLC like 970 Pro or 860 Pro. Those 980 Pro uses 128 layer TLC NANDs so your drive should be OK
  5. 1

you could infer the changelogs from the HPE version SM883 revision history. These are the fixes in the latest HPE firmware HPG3 (I assume this is HXM7904Q equivalent) PrefetchClear logic error on Write CMD. ICRC Data Integrity improvement. And HPG2 had these fixes When SSD statistics...
  6. 1

Not true... most of the PM883 on ebay are mostly SED version. If the original FW (as printed on the label) ends with 4Q, that means SED. 3Q=non-SED
  7. 1

Samsung 980 Pro NVME power on hours not accurate

if you have "turn-off hard drive after:" value non-zero, your power on hour won't increase while it's turned off even if your system has been on.
  8. 1

silly question - is higher 3D layer count always better?

They no longer offer 5300 ECO line - I wonder how the static over-provisioning compare between equivalent 5200 PRO/ECO and 5300 PRO drives. I suspect 5300 PRO 7.68TB is actually equivalent to 5200 ECO 7.68 TB, for example.
  9. 1

Need Firmware for Samsung PM863a (GXT5404Q)

Anyone have access to this Nvidia FW package? https://docs.nvidia.com/dgx/pdf/dgx1-fw-container-release-notes.pdf It does not have one for PM863a but It has most recent versions for SM863a PM883 SM883 It is interesting that this package lists the version for SM863a is GXM1103Q I thought the...
  10. 1

silly question - is higher 3D layer count always better?

Any reason to choose 32 layer 1st gen 3D NAND SSD over ones with 3 figure layers? NAND manufacturer's main purpose of pursuing higher layer count is cost reduction (more capacity yield in same silicon area). Is anything sacrificed with higher layer count??
  11. 1

Need Firmware for Samsung PM863a (GXT5404Q)

I always think Samsung has a dedicated department that work full time to make sure their datacenter SSD firmwares are not available to the general public....
  12. 1

questions on Samsung SV843 firmware

Samsung is notorious for making sure their datacenter SSD firmwares won't reach general public. Unless you are in large volume contract with Samsung, there is no way to get the new version of firmware. Magician DC has the flashing tool but does not have firmware file.
  13. 1

questions on Samsung SV843 firmware

Hello, I am a long time reader of this forum but I registered for the first time to post a question. I recently obtained 2 SV843 960Gb drives from different sources and would like to use it in my project workstation - I am a university researcher in tight budget and I get to process large test...