SuperMicro 6016TT-IBQF - $399

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
I have a pair of SuperMicro A1SAif serving my home. I am very happy with them for always on home duties, but I find I could use a bit more grunt for lab studies. The CPU power is fine, but the practical limit of 32GB per host is ... limiting. I just snagged one of these:

Supermicro 6016TT Ibqf Twin Node 4X L5630 Quad Core 16GB Mem 4X Trays | eBay

The seller offers them in various configurations ... this package seemed the best fit for my home-use scenario. I'll have to work on populating them with memory, but these should give me room to grow. Nice bonus that the boards have an integrated ConnectX-2.

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
One of my staffers was looking at this and found this one instead, even cheaper and with drives:

Supermicro 6016TT Ibqf Twin Node 4X X5667 Quad Core 32GB Mem 4X 300GB 10K | eBay
That's got to be a mistake listing. I'm sorely tempted to buy one of those, too ... Except I don't want/need 4 x 95W TDP CPU's blazing away in my home office, and the other is such a good deal that I don't mind, and wouldn't want to get stuck with a second server I couldn't unload.

I'd be all over it if it wasn't my own money ...

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
Am I crazy, or is this a really good deal?!?

$95 shipping sort of sucks though...
This is an insanely good deal - so good I suspect it was an unintentional listing. I was extremely satisfied paying $494 ($399 + $95 shipping) for the configuration I got - this has more power, RAM, and drives for a total price of $254.

JayG30

Feb 23, 2015
I had to recover my paypal password since I forgot it, but after that I ordered one. It was just to good of a deal, even for "old" tech.

I bought it with my own money and I'm going to install it at my rack at work. At worst it will be something I can use for testing/lab work. Best case I find a permanent use for it at work and charge it to the company. Either way for the money I'll find plenty of use for it I'm sure.

JayG30

Feb 23, 2015
Good thing I purchased when I did I guess?
Wonder if they'll honor it or not...

EDIT: I also got positive feedback for the purchase. Probably automated. :)

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
Looks like it was just updated to $1059

Lets see if they ship with the $159 price (got my order in just in time)
I had to recover my paypal password since I forgot it, but after that I ordered one. It was just to good of a deal, even for "old" tech.

I bought it with my own money and I'm going to install it at my rack at work. At worst it will be something I can use for testing/lab work. Best case I find a permanent use for it at work and charge it to the company. Either way for the money I'll find plenty of use for it I'm sure.
Nice grab!

I bought the L5630 model with "my own money," and I'm going to run it with "my own" electricity. I can justify ~200W worth of hardware for the home, 500W is a more difficult proposition. I also sprung for 192GB RAM so I was a little risk averse in picking up a second chassis that I don't need - even though it was clearly a "steal" at $159.

TType85

Dec 22, 2014
Garden Grove, CA
Nice grab!

I bought the L5630 model with "my own money," and I'm going to run it with "my own" electricity. I can justify ~200W worth of hardware for the home, 500W is a more difficult proposition. I also sprung for 192GB RAM so I was a little risk averse in picking up a second chassis that I don't need - even though it was clearly a "steal" at $159.
I have 128GB sitting here that was going to go in to the $60 Tyan board I just bought (along with a couple X5650's) but they will have a nice new home if they don't cancel the order.

JayG30

Feb 23, 2015
How much did the 192GB/128GB of RAM cost you guys?
Probably more than the $254 to purchase the server. :)

TType85

Dec 22, 2014
Garden Grove, CA
How much did the 192GB/128GB of RAM cost you guys?
Probably more than the $254 to purchase the server. :)
I have about $550 in to this 128GB. I have a feeling 1 or 2 sticks may be flaky. I got a rash of correctable ECC errors in the logs and a windows crash, swapped sticks and got the same thing in another one. The pass multiple memtest passes no problem.

JayG30

Feb 23, 2015
Darn. Wonder how long until I get one. I haven't gotten a cancelation yet. In fact my debit card was already charged and PayPal sent a receipt.

Scratch that he sent a private message and offered a discount like you. Not interest at all at those prices (can do much better).

However I've already been charged it seems sooooo. Sent a message asking how he plans to rectify the charges.

Last edited: