Minisforum MS-01 PCIe Card and RAM Compatibility Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mman3222

Apr 15, 2024
Not sure why you say it won't work. As a matter of fact it works wonderfully well for both Windows and Linux VM. Intel GPU drivers recognize the SR-IOV iGPU and can take advantage of QuickSync transcoding.
Ok, I think I'm royally confused then LoL :rolleyes: Please help me understand.

If I install Plex LXC Installation, is this a brand new installation of a Plex install? How can this help a Plex server already running and installed on a Windows 11 VM?

BlueChris

Jul 18, 2021
Athens-Greece
Thanks for your advice. I tested almost all options with tape, but no success. I taped pins as it was described in Wikipedia (from 5-9) and these from the photo from the example post. The strange thing I observed after the slot left marks on the tape, the slot pins don't fit to connectors on the card. I'll try more options with the tape, but I'd like to ask if any BIOS options should be set with this solution? I'm testing it under proxmox (lspci) and under live ubuntu (lspci).
Do you have any other thoughts/advice regarding this issue?
Oh sorry m8, i thought this will be the fix for you since many did that with cards that wasnt play nice to the ms-01 and after the tape they worked.
Hmmm maybe you can try ASPM off in the bios for the pci port?

Finlike3355

Mar 5, 2024
Hey guys! I finally got mine and after finishing my testing I installed Proxmox 8 onto 2x Samsung PM983 drives in raid 1 however I can't boot to them. The testing I did was in Windows and I was able to see them and format them as well as Crystal Disk Info/Mark them no problem. When I installed Proxmox the GUI had no issues in seeing the drives to install and the BIOS shows that they are there but it just won't boot to them.

Any idea why?

I feel like I heard somewhere that Samsung drives had an issue booting to Proxmox but I could be wrong because can't find it now.

23409.jpeg

Reactions: GreenAvacado

mman3222

Apr 15, 2024
Lxc and VM are 2 different things. Passing video card to windows is a pain that requires you to use remote desktop and it won't support everything. Lxc has direct access to video hardware.
I installed Plex LXC as a test on my ProxMox. Is there anyway to pass on my USB ports to Plex LXC? I have a 5-bay USB-C hard drive enclosure that is attached to my MS-01. I don't see a way to passthrough USB ports like I can in a VM.

EDIT: Yeah, this 100% is not going to work for my setup. I need a Windows VM beacuse I'm using StableBit DrivePool to create 1 massive storage drive and then I point Plex to the folders on that drive letter. If I don't have Windows installed, then I can't have DrivePool running.

Dang. I was really hoping for an easy way to passthrough iGPU in a Windows VM.

Maybe a cheap graphics card? Is that easy enough to pass through to 1 VM?

Last edited:

Dazzlive

Apr 22, 2024
Memory is a good idea for this as well.

I was told by the Minisforum folks that it works so we used 2x Crucial CT48G56C46S5 48GB DIMMs. We have not seen any issues yet, but the Minisforum folks said they are only supporting 64GB maximum because they did not have time to validate 96GB. Still, in the review/ video, there are going to be a lot of 96GB screenshots.
Are you running the memory at system maximum 5200 or 5600mhz?

thekobk

Mar 2, 2024
I installed Plex LXC as a test on my ProxMox. Is there anyway to pass on my USB ports to Plex LXC? I have a 5-bay USB-C hard drive enclosure that is attached to my MS-01. I don't see a way to passthrough USB ports like I can in a VM.

EDIT: Yeah, this 100% is not going to work for my setup. I need a Windows VM beacuse I'm using StableBit DrivePool to create 1 massive storage drive and then I point Plex to the folders on that drive letter. If I don't have Windows installed, then I can't have DrivePool running.

Dang. I was really hoping for an easy way to passthrough iGPU in a Windows VM.

Maybe a cheap graphics card? Is that easy enough to pass through to 1 VM?
I installed Plex as a LXC and then installed OMV to create a raid 0 array on SSD 2 and 3 then shared that to Plex. Samba is also an option but I like having a file server I can access in another Windows machine to add and move data.

Feb 19, 2024
Looks awesome! You mind sharing your STL files? Do you have two side-by-side variant?
Give me a little more time and I will try to redesign it to make it scalable, which takes a lot of time :). The case is 2U as it is design to go big or go home with the fan (120 mm). The one I posted above fits perfectly in 10" rack. To make it completely scalable going to 19" rack with one or two ms01 side-by-side I would need to give a choice for different use cases. I will let you guys know when it's done :)

spleenftw

Apr 23, 2024
Hello there, this is probably the wrong thread to ask this, but i plan to buy 3 ms-01 to do a proxmox cluster w/ ceph on the 10g sfp+.
Are they still bugged or shipped with a lot of issues ?

thekobk

Mar 2, 2024
Hello there, this is probably the wrong thread to ask this, but i plan to buy 3 ms-01 to do a proxmox cluster w/ ceph on the 10g sfp+.
I've seen a few people with issues but most of us including myself have no problems at all.

Finlike3355

Mar 5, 2024
I haven't had an issue yet with my MS-01, just with the Samsung drives I bought not loading Proxmox

spleenftw

Apr 23, 2024
I've seen a few people with issues but most of us including myself have no problems at all.
So would you guys recommend me to buy 3 of them ?
Isn't there any heat issue ? Fans to add ? Are the bugs with proxmox code actually fixed ?