Minisforum MS-01 PCIe Card and RAM Compatibility Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MetalPhreak

Jan 19, 2024
Yeah ok, that’s the one I don’t have I have the dual edge you e key only and never showed up

thanks for your input
I would have thought one of the two would show? Iirc the m.2 spec calls for 2x individual x1 not 1x single x2 slot. Pretty sure the two TPU are wired independent and just share pcb space. Either way, everyone should order the single TPU if you haven't got one yet.
But with 20cm cable you can put the end card in the other side where there is the empty space of the U2 disk.
I will order one just for testing because i will put a coral card in this slot for Frigate.
Keep in mind it'll cripple the SSD to pci-e 3.0 x1 speed at 1GB/s (8gbit/s). At that point you might as well use a USB enclosure for it.

BlueChris

Jul 18, 2021
Athens-Greece
I would have thought one of the two would show? Iirc the m.2 spec calls for 2x individual x1 not 1x single x2 slot. Pretty sure the two TPU are wired independent and just share pcb space. Either way, everyone should order the single TPU if you haven't got one yet.

Keep in mind it'll cripple the SSD to pci-e 3.0 x1 speed at 1GB/s (8gbit/s). At that point you might as well use a USB enclosure for it.
Nah only for esxi boot... i wish there was a sata slot to put a satadom in there and call it a day but there is not.
But you can get sata also from this slot.. even though i dont know if it will be bootable.

MetalPhreak

Jan 19, 2024
Reactions: DataX

MetalPhreak

Jan 19, 2024
Anyonw who got the MS-01, spoted any internal header on it for power 12/5v? i dont seem to find anything from the images if there is....
There is a second 4 pin header next to the ssd fan header but it’s pretty hard to get to tucked under the case metal at the edge. Possibly 5v or 12v or just another fan connector (ssd fan is 5v). Nothing else in sight.

IMG_0320.jpeg

BlueChris

Jul 18, 2021
Athens-Greece
What about this and a high quality microSD card? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32968036926.html

Assuming the slot has USB2.0 wired up.
Yeap this is a solution for sure

There is a second 4 pin header next to the ssd fan header but it’s pretty hard to get to tucked under the case metal at the edge. Possibly 5v or 12v or just another fan connector (ssd fan is 5v). Nothing else in sight.

View attachment 34095
Thank you for this.

We need a motherboard diagram from minisforum... the manual doesnt cover nothing really.

FingerBlaster

Feb 27, 2019
I saw a post on the minisforum discord channel, basically says if your in the US and haven't gotten your order yet don't expect it until late March due to Chinese New Year. Frustrating as when I ordered it was right before it went from shipping by January 20 to shipping but end of March.

Zagor64

Jan 24, 2024
I saw a post on the minisforum discord channel, basically says if your in the US and haven't gotten your order yet don't expect it until late March due to Chinese New Year. Frustrating as when I ordered it was right before it went from shipping by January 20 to shipping but end of March.
Yeah, I got the same reply to my emails. I ordered on Jan 13th, they sent me an email a day later saying just 3-5 day delay and now they are saying end of March due to Chinese new year. What's really frustrating is that it's not like they don't know the Chinese new year fab closing is anything new. In their reply they sound like it's an unexpected thing. Really?? it's not like it happens every flipping year...lol. A few days delay is one thing but two months is entirely different thing. Had I known I would not have ordered.

FingerBlaster

Feb 27, 2019
Yeah, I got the same reply to my emails. I ordered on Jan 13th, they sent me an email a day later saying just 3-5 day delay and now they are saying end of March due to Chinese new year. What's really frustrating is that it's not like they don't know the Chinese new year fab closing is anything new. In their reply they sound like it's an unexpected thing. Really?? it's not like it happens every flipping year...lol. A few days delay is one thing but two months is entirely different thing. Had I known I would not have ordered.
Yeah, i get it, they're likely a very small company, but the inability to set expectations is annoying. They probably got more orders than anticipated. An automated message explaining delays would have been helpful. Would I have still ordered? I don't know. Nothing else on the market compares when you factor in the SFP ports and dual Thunderbolt ports. I'd probably have still ordered, but i woudln'\t have pre-ordered ram and storage which now have sitting on my desk, and it won't be returnable by the time i get it, in case i wind up unhappy with this thing. Although the feedback i've seen from people who have received it has been generally positive, including on the discord channel

Someone over there is running an esxi cluster (no clustered storage), and is really happy with the performance.

Aug 20, 2023
Yeah, i get it, they're likely a very small company, but the inability to set expectations is annoying. They probably got more orders than anticipated. An automated message explaining delays would have been helpful. Would I have still ordered? I don't know. Nothing else on the market compares when you factor in the SFP ports and dual Thunderbolt ports. I'd probably have still ordered, but i woudln'\t have pre-ordered ram and storage which now have sitting on my desk, and it won't be returnable by the time i get it, in case i wind up unhappy with this thing. Although the feedback i've seen from people who have received it has been generally positive, including on the discord channel

Someone over there is running an esxi cluster (no clustered storage), and is really happy with the performance.
I'm sure quite a few people bought multiple units as the price was quite good and also the high demand due to the postive youtube videos, this is surely the cause for the delays.

JaxJiang

Jan 10, 2023
I am sorry about your order delay.
Chinese Spring Festival is a very important festival. almost all of chinese factory will stop almost a month, reunite them with their loved ones.
Manufacturers like Apple can pay enough to continue production. But we are still a not big company.
You can buy on amazon. Amazon has shipping time limits. So it will later than sale offical site‘s shelves.
Sales team told me it's can pre-order on amazon now, and maybe it will shipping in next 2 weeks.

Aug 20, 2023
I am sorry about your order delay.
Chinese Spring Festival is a very important festival. almost all of chinese factory will stop almost a month, reunite them with their loved ones.
Manufacturers like Apple can pay enough to continue production. But we are still a not big company.
You can buy on amazon. Amazon has shipping time limits. So it will later than sale offical site‘s shelves.
Sales team told me it's can pre-order on amazon now, and maybe it will shipping in next 2 weeks.
What about EU shipping? I ordered 1st of January, will this still be delivered on time?

BlueChris

Jul 18, 2021
Athens-Greece
Confirmed working Ableconn PEXM2-130 Dual M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD Adapter
It gets quite hot, unknown about stability at this time (just installed it).
I'm still waiting on my U.2 drive to max it out (for what I'm willing to spend anyways).
Attached a lspci -vvv for anyone interested
Sorry for asking but i see your lspci output and i wonder if its possible for the usb 3.2 controller if is able to be passthrough in a vm in esxi.
In specific this controller

00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH USB 3.2 xHCI Host Controller (rev 01) (prog-if 30 [XHCI])

Does anyone who has the MS-01 with esxi can try it? i will be helpfull because i plan to passthrough also the iGPU to a vm and need usb3 also to it. If not i will put a renesas usb3 card on the machine like i always do with this type of scenarios but i will loose the one and only pci slot.

Thx
Chris

MetalPhreak

Jan 19, 2024
Sorry for asking but i see your lspci output and i wonder if its possible for the usb 3.2 controller if is able to be passthrough in a vm in esxi.
In specific this controller

00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Alder Lake PCH USB 3.2 xHCI Host Controller (rev 01) (prog-if 30 [XHCI])

Does anyone who has the MS-01 with esxi can try it? i will be helpfull because i plan to passthrough also the iGPU to a vm and need usb3 also to it. If not i will put a renesas usb3 card on the machine like i always do with this type of scenarios but i will loose the one and only pci slot.

Thx
Chris
Not ESXI but in proxmox, passed this pcie iommu group 7 0000:00:14.0 device in to a VM. Confirmed via a USB drive that both USB3 ports on the back, both USB2 and the single USB3 on the front, all get passed through.

Nothing else in IOMMU group 7.

Dont have any USB C devices handy to see if non USB4 devices come through on the thunderbolt ports, or if they come through on the USB4 controller dropping down to legcy 3.2 mode (which I assume it does). Those are all bundled in group 6.

Screenshot 2024-01-30 at 6.24.29 pm.png

Reactions: BlueChris

NachoCDN

Apr 18, 2016
has anyone gotten a 40Gb card to work? i didn't see this covered in any of the reviews.