CWWK/Topton/... Nxxx quad NIC router

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Foxandxss

Aug 14, 2023
Watch this video and after hold the nvme with the thermal pad and the heatsink to a light source and see if there is contact between the controller/nand + thermal pad + heatsink. And if you have a caliper, even better, because you can measure the total height of the NAND and the controller.

As a side note, I have 60C on full load on a SK hynix Gold P31 1TB with some JEYI thermal pads 5 W/mk + JEYI 7mm height heatsink, but I plan on buying 0.5mm/1mm pads from GELID

Thanks, very useful.

Now I learnt that I made two mistakes by removing the sticker on top. Void warranty and also that it spreads the temp a bit. I will check tomorrow to see if there is any gap. My cheap heatsink came with a pad that is supposed to go below the nvme which is 0.5 and the others are 1mm. I will see if I can do something better.

I spent my day showing up metrics from pve and sensors to influx & grafana. I'll probably share a repo when I get it in a better shape if there are people interested.

Reactions: gr3n

Foxandxss

Aug 14, 2023
Let me continue my monologue :p

I put a 12v fan today (PWM) via the system fan.

As other mentioned in the past, PWM is not working or we don't really understand it. I am trying different settings in the bios but not much difference. I put unrealistic setup (low temperature start, low temperature for full speed and a fast slope) and I think I might hear it a bit.

The other problem is that seems like we don't have a sensor to see the RPM nor control it in linux.

I am starting to think that it is the ACPI temperature what drives it and it is always the same one for me, 27.8.

I hope they release a new firmware with a fix.

EDIT: I figured out more stuff.

Bios talks about a cpu fan and a system fan. Also displays a system temperature that it is not seen with `lm-sensors`. So the PWM works againt the system temperature. Minimum temp will stop it, the other start it and the initial PWM is the speed. But still seems like a black or white situation. Either full stop or at the temperature mentioned.

So you have either to decide if you want a constant mode or have it stop until really hot situation occurs and you put it at maximum.

There is no 12v cpu fan right?

EDIT2: There is a cpu fan in the other side of the board. No idea if it is the same as the other (pin wise and voltage wise)

Last edited:

Foxandxss

Aug 14, 2023
Here are my conclusions for the "CWWK CW-AL v2" Fan situation for everyone that had the issue or will buy the device soon:

There are two 12v connectors for a 4 pin 12V fan (there is an adaptor).

One connector, system fan is on the bottom side (ram & nvme).The other connector, cpu fan is on the cpu side (need to dissasemble completely and that includes taking care of thermal paste.

On the bios there are 5 different settings:

- Temp to stop fan
- Temp to start fan
- Limit temp so it will hit 100% speed
- Starting speed
- PWM slope

Starting speed is a bit special. It is not a 0-100 and I have no idea which range is it (0-255?). My fan seems to handle up to 2200 RPM aprox. A value of 90 is around 800 and a value of 180 seems to be 1800 (now that makes me thing that is is X * 10) perhaps.

So if in that order we set:

2 PWM

It will be at 0 at 40 or below, working at (800-900 RPM) at 45 and IN THEORY (I don't have a way to test RPM) it should scale up until 60C where it will hit the 2200.

Seems to work correctly. It stop when it should, start when it should (there is always a few seconds delay) and max when it should. I still need to figure out better the SLOPE. More slope is more aggresive ramping up.

----

Anyway. It is good but optimal in my opinion since the system temperature is nowhere to be found (only in bios) and there is no way (without the esp32c3 as @Becks0815 mentioned to make your own stuff.

I put the fan at the bottom (outside) and it will run faster or slower based on the cpu that is on the other side and doesn't seem to be affected much or any with the fan (I left the dust cover).

I just realized that there is a IT8613 chipset that has no drivers but someone at github managed to get it working and there is RPM! I need to try tomorrow.

Cheers.

Foxandxss

Aug 14, 2023
I am back with more news and this time, good news.

At least with CW-AL v2 but I am sure that works with the others. We can compile a module to get info with pmw.

First, do a backup, things can always go wrong.

TROUBLESHOOTING AT THE END

First, leave your fan in your bios as automatic if you just one to see RPM or leave it as manual if you want to controle it in userland (AKA ourselves in proxmox)

Code:
# uname -r
Write down the version. In my case, 6.5.11-7-pve and then :

Code:
# apt-get install linux-headers-6.5.11-7-pve
Then clone this repo or copy its files with `scp` from your computer. Inside its folder do:

Code:
# make
# make install
# modprobe -a it87
Now we can use `sensors` to see if we get our new sensor. If not, first check that it is loaded:

Code:
# lsmod | grep it87
Example of my `sensors`

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Package id 0: +40.0°C (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 0: +36.0°C (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 1: +36.0°C (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 2: +36.0°C (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 3: +38.0°C (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 4: +40.0°C (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 5: +40.0°C (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 6: +40.0°C (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 7: +40.0°C (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)

acpitz-acpi-0
Adapter: ACPI interface
temp1: +27.8°C (crit = +119.0°C)

it8613-isa-0a30
in0: 726.00 mV (min = +0.00 V, max = +2.81 V)
in1: 1.22 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +2.81 V)
in2: 2.04 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +2.81 V)
in4: 2.05 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +2.81 V)
in5: 2.04 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +2.81 V)
3VSB: 5.57 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +5.61 V)
Vbat: 3.17 V
+3.3V: 3.39 V
fan2: 659 RPM (min = 0 RPM)
fan3: 0 RPM (min = 0 RPM)
temp1: +35.0°C (low = -128.0°C, high = +127.0°C) sensor = thermistor
temp2: +42.0°C (low = -128.0°C, high = +127.0°C) sensor = thermistor
temp3: +42.0°C (low = -128.0°C, high = +127.0°C)
intrusion0: ALARM

nvme-pci-0100
Adapter: PCI adapter
Composite: +45.9°C (low = -273.1°C, high = +81.8°C)
(crit = +84.8°C)
Sensor 1: +45.9°C (low = -273.1°C, high = +65261.8°C)
Sensor 2: +47.9°C (low = -273.1°C, high = +65261.8°C)
If everything works, add the module in your /etc/modules for autoload:

Code:
# echo "it87" >> /etc/modules
Now install `fancontrol` and execute:

Code:
# pwmconfig
If your fan is in manual, it will let you know which hwmon is it and it let you decide which piece of hardware you want as "driver" (in my case nvme) and then decide min temp, max temp, speed... Once done, it will be saved to /etc/fancontrol and that is it.

Works like a charm. Proper PWM, proper control and it is all you need. Happy computer.

I am happy I pushed this. I started with 54-58C NVME and now it is 45 and the FAN that I cannot hear at all. I can put it on the side to lose another 10 degrees if I need to.

I am working on my grafana dashboard. I will share once it is done.

Troubleshooting

"Skipping BTF generation [module name] due to unavailability of vmlinux."

If you get this error, do the following:

Code:
# cp /sys/kernel/btf/vmlinux /usr/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/
"Missing pahole"

Code:
# apt-get install dwarves

PS: We really need a wiki for this or update the OP message with links to info.
PS2: I am getting a bit of coil whine on my computer, no idea if it is the daijing but happens on idle

Last edited:

metlrise

Nov 17, 2021
nice find @Foxandxss

the repo its old, after search around on github for a newer version I found a repo that is maintained

and for the lazy, like myself...It says Gigabyte but it works,

PS: I've already had linux-headers installed

Foxandxss

Aug 14, 2023
nice find @Foxandxss

the repo its old, after search around on github for a newer version I found a repo that is maintained

and for the lazy, like myself...It says Gigabyte but it works,

PS: I've already had linux-headers installed

Oh, nice one. I didn't find a new version. I guess I won't try since it works like a charm with the old one but it is good to know it is not an abandoned project anymore.

On the other hand, I will try the leicke PSU to see if I get rid of coil whine. I tried the acoustic noise reduction to no avail. It only happens when there is no load (just opnsense for now). Perhaps when I add more machines and stuff it won't make a noise but right now, having a completely silent PC it is noticeable. I hope I get rid of the coil whine with the PSU or after a bit of load or I might need to move it to another room and somehow move my ONT too.

Stephnugs

Jan 1, 2024
I just purchased the Topton N305 Variant, US style plug.

I know a lot of people mentioned that upgrading the power adapter can help various things, here is a picture of the one that came with my unit.

Is this a solid adapter, if I should change it out can someone recommend me a solid one? I’m in the US. Thank you!

Foxandxss

Aug 14, 2023

I know a lot of people mentioned that upgrading the power adapter can help various things, here is a picture of the one that came with my unit.

Is this a solid adapter, if I should change it out can someone recommend me a solid one? I’m in the US. Thank you!
Ill answer you in 26 hours. I am having some coil whine right now and I am trying a new PSU tomorrow to see if I get rid of it. So far it works great except that.

Reactions: Stovar

lugamodder

Aug 7, 2017
Does anyone know if it is possible to turn off the beeper and power button blue LED on the CWWK N305 (CW-AL-4L-V2.0)?

Foxandxss

Aug 14, 2023
Does anyone know if it is possible to turn off the beeper and power button blue LED on the CWWK N305 (CW-AL-4L-V2.0)?
Beeper in the bios there is an option for it (don't remember where). Power led button no idea but I didn't see one (I put something on front of it so I don't see it)

audelair

Jul 16, 2023
They used to have Dajing PSU's, which were also made by a company based in Hunan, like this D-JFY one. Same rating (60W). Mine started making a bad noise after a year. I will pretty much routinely replace these with 90W or 120W EDAC (not the best, but I trust it more than these) or Meanwell ones.

Stovar

Dec 27, 2022

I have the Dajing one and its been fine after a year, but sure there are many around here that don't rely or trust these type of chargers.

some like these also

I think its still a bit hit and miss really, we know even the chargers on amazon or ebay can be similar or fake, maybe purchasing from a bigger well known company that deals with electronics might be better regulated/checked.

For now though, ill continue using the existing supplied chargers since there doing just fine, regardless always good to make sure you have some surge protected adaptors in case and check temps/coil noise also.

Reactions: audelair

Stovar

Dec 27, 2022
Have a good check in the bios, its usually something like bios beep and if you don't see it at all its maybe not there, not all mini pcs from these asian manufacturers have the bios beep on and off option in bios, my cwwk older unit did not.

Some bios updates do however sometimes add the feature, just be careful with bios updates and contact manufacturer or make 100% sure you got the right one and know what you are doing otherwise you can brick it.

Blue tack for the annoying leds, is what I do just make small bobbles and push it over those leds.

audelair

Jul 16, 2023
I have the Dajing one and its been fine after a year, but sure there are many around here that don't rely or trust these type of chargers.

some like these also

I think its still a bit hit and miss really, we know even the chargers on amazon or ebay can be similar or fake, maybe purchasing from a bigger well known company that deals with electronics might be better regulated/checked.

For now though, ill continue using the existing supplied chargers since there doing just fine, regardless always good to make sure you have some surge protected adaptors in case and check temps/coil noise also.
I can vouch for Mouser and Digikey as pretty good suppliers of these power adapters. I got a few Mean Well's from Mouser recently... most of these Mini-PC's use the 2.5 barrel power plug, and the equivalent Mean Well adapter should have a P1M suffix. The 90W has that option, but the 120W only comes in R7B (4-pin), but Mean Well has a cheap adapter that converts to 2.5 barrel, so I bought a few of those so I can flexibly handle the full range of Mean Well's adapters.

It sure is tempting to get them for half the price on Ebay or Amazon... I just think they could be fakes.

I think those Dajing's (and these D-JFY) are OK. Even after mine started whining, I kept it running for half a year before I bothered replacing it. It never actually caused me trouble.

Stovar

Dec 27, 2022
Got my cwwk replacement mainboard today (slightly different model), went to put in my gigabyte 128gb nvme and no power or boot display.

Removed it and it boots fine, Does anyone know if they stick an incompatible nvme drive and no boot or power its a sign of incompatibility?

Marvin33

Aug 4, 2023
Code:
# uname -r
Write down the version. In my case, 6.5.11-7-pve and then :

Code:
# apt-get install linux-headers-6.5.11-7-pve
Then clone this repo (or try a newer version here) or copy its files with `scp` from your computer. Inside its folder do:

Code:
# make
# make install
# modprobe -a it87
What other dependencies should I install so that the project can be compiled?
Unfortunately I get an error:
-bash: make: command not found

Marvin33

Aug 4, 2023
I don't remember installing `build-essential` but if you don't have it (I do) that would fix that.
OK, I installed it and it worked.

Version: Topton N305-6L

Bash:
root@proxmox:~# sensors
coretemp-isa-0000
Package id 0:  +36.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 0:        +36.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 1:        +36.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 2:        +36.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 3:        +35.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 4:        +37.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 5:        +37.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 6:        +37.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 7:        +37.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)

acpitz-acpi-0
Adapter: ACPI interface
temp1:        +27.8°C  (crit = +110.0°C)

it8613-isa-0a30
in0:           1.33 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.81 V)
in1:           1.10 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.81 V)
in2:           1.72 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.81 V)
in4:           1.99 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.81 V)
in5:           1.98 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +2.81 V)
3VSB:          3.28 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +5.61 V)
Vbat:          3.01 V
+3.3V:         3.26 V
fan2:        1577 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)
fan3:           0 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)
temp1:        +36.0°C  (low  = -128.0°C, high = +127.0°C)
temp2:       +127.0°C  (low  = -128.0°C, high = +127.0°C)  ALARM  sensor = thermal diode
temp3:       -128.0°C  (low  = -128.0°C, high = +127.0°C)
intrusion0:  ALARM

nvme-pci-0600
Adapter: PCI adapter
Composite:    +45.9°C  (low  =  -0.1°C, high = +71.8°C)
                       (crit = +89.8°C)

Becks0815

Oct 15, 2022
I can vouch for Mouser and Digikey as pretty good suppliers of these power adapters.
I also can recommend at least Digikey. Fast shipment, even too Europe/Switzerland, very good documentation of the goods, and I am pretty sure I won't get a faked product, just like it can be the case on Alieexpress, Ebay or Amazon. Also upvote for Mean well power supplies. just like Leicke in germany these things work for years without failing. It was the first thing I did after getting the N100 - replace the power supply. After seeing several YT videos where they disassemble electronic equipment from Ali, I can confirm that the CE just stands for "Chinese Export", but has no correlation with tests or safety standards, at least not if you buy anything from a well known brand like Evergreen.