Inexpensive 8 port Gigabit Managed switch

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
Ok,

I want to play around with doing some NIC teaming & VLANs at home. My needs for right now are not that great, I could probably get by with a 5 port switch but given that 8 port switches aren't normally that much more (would prefer a 16 port but they are stetching my budget to much right now). I don't have any preferred brand of switch, at home right now I have a D-Link 5 port, Trendnet 8 port & a Rosewill 5 port (all gigabit). I would prefer a rack mountable switch for the future when I finally get a house, but it doesn't have to be. Anyone have some suggestions that meat at least most of my criteria?

Hank C

Jun 16, 2014
hp procurve 16 port gigabit managed switch on amazon for like ~$170

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
hp procurve 16 port gigabit managed switch on amazon for like ~$170
I'd like to go a little cheaper just because it is less out of my "I need a new home server" fund.

What about the TP-LINK TL-SG1016DE?

Basically, for NIC teaming I want to put 2 NICs in my home server and team them. For VLANs, I want to send multiple VLANs from my pfSense router to my UniFi AP. One for normal WiFi traffic, one for my WiFi web cam & one for 802.11 G Devices. That way when my Wii connects, it doesn't kill bandwidth on my work laptop and the WiFi web cam doesn't cause a stupid DHCP request storm for anything else.

ehorn

Jun 21, 2012

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
There are lots of cheap L2 managed switches if you are interested in buying used...

HP procurve are very nice switches
Cisco makes a decent line also... SG 200 series
Dell also sell a decent series which support lacp and vlans

http://www.dell.com/downloads/ap/products/pconnect/en/2700_spec_sheet.pdf

Eg.. Here is a 24 port:

Dell PowerConnect 2724 24 Port Gigabit Managed Switch 2 Port | eBay

Imho, You can find more value buying used for your needs.
I have no problem buying used, due to the prices.....

Just wish I could afford better gear to be honest. I'd like all Cisco gear since I'm going to work towards my CCNA but I can't afford them.

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
Put in an offer on a PowerConnect 2724. Now, one question that I think I know the answer to. Can you disable individual ports on a PowerConnect 2724 from the Web GUI? Need the ability to now for my wife's client (autistic, schizophrenic, manic depressive & bi-polar).

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
And I have a PowerConnect 2724 on the way. $30 + $15 S&H - a $5 eBay Mobile coupon I got.