Help need to recover data from drive " uninitialized"

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
one of my data disk (with a healthy collection of family photos) suddenly did not show up on windows 10 upon boot up. Under disk management, the disk is listed as uninitialized.under disk management.
inside diskpart, it is shown as a drive but with no information.
how do I recover the disk? Its a 5TB Seagate 2.5 disk. the usual disk recovery software (eg testdisk) cannot see the drive - because its uninitialized.

Is it a partition issue or is the drive completely dead? help needed please.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Always create a DD image of the disk and work only on the image and not the original disk.

Reactions: i386

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Ok here I think it’s best to get some help.
Basically you create a bootable Linux USB, I used to use GParted but either way you need something when the tools gparted,ddrescue,disktest and maybe others depending on the issue.

1.) create your Linux rescue USB
2.) attach 2 x 5TB space or large disk to system
3.) make a DD image of your broken disk to a file on the attached storage
4.) disconnect the original broken disk (so you don’t hurt it further)
5.) the fun starts, now you can try various tools to recover the data using the image file like it was the damaged disk. Describing this process is kind of hard but also I haven’t don’t it for long time since haven’t needed to.

Good thing is you work on the image not to damaged disk so no harm if something doesn’t work on that.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
And if it doens't work restore from backups :cool:
Sadly when people are asking about recovery of disks with collections of family photos then that usually means that don’t have a backup.

please everybody backup , to a disk not connected to your system all the time and get it offside and/or online.

Reactions: itronin

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Sorry guys.
How do I create a dd image of the disk?
what do I do after that?
You can create an dd image with different tools, google might help you. When creating the image make sure that you copy the physical device, not logical volumes or partitions:
Winhex 2.JPG
After creating the image you should be able to open it in the recovery tool of your choice and start the recovery process:
Winhex.JPG

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
FWIW, ddrescue is a dd-esque command line tool with the express purpose of extracting images out of damaged media. It's able to read from multiple directions and in multiple passes in order to give you a better chance at retrieving damaged sectors.

Something like the following might be used to create an image of a partition on /dev/sdd. You can run multiple times to attempt to update the same image.
Code:
ddrescue -d -r3 -v /dev/sdd1 /path/to/image.dd /path/to/logfile.log
ddrescue -d -r3 -R -v /dev/sdd1 /path/to/image.dd /path/to/logfile.log

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
one of my data disk (with a healthy collection of family photos) suddenly did not show up on windows 10 upon boot up. Under disk management, the disk is listed as uninitialized.under disk management.
inside diskpart, it is shown as a drive but with no information.
how do I recover the disk? Its a 5TB Seagate 2.5 disk. the usual disk recovery software (eg testdisk) cannot see the drive - because its uninitialized.

Is it a partition issue or is the drive completely dead? help needed please.
First of all - don’t pay a single red cent for software recovery unless the open source/free tool options are proven ineffective - my guess is that 50-75% of the data recovery software out there are just recompiled versions of open source stuff that’s available out there.

Second - does the drive seem like it’s physically damaged? Do you hear clicks (head reset) constantly or does it sound rather normal? And is it
one of those hybrid SSD drives? If it’s a bog standard HDD and it sounds healthy, that's fine. The half-breed SSHDs have an extra mode of failure that makes dealing with them challenging to say the least.

Third - if you used Christophe Grenier's testdisk (photorec is pretty much the same thing), what you want to do is try to recover a FILESYSTEM, not merely files. Run it on a deep scan via GPT or whatever, and then see if it can find something that is exfat, fat32, NTFS, some flavor of ext, whatever. Pay no attention to what Win10 would say since it does not understand most filesystems anyways. The question is really whether testdisk a) sees a USB drive b) can read to a USB drive and c) can see something, anything off a USB drive.

In fact, if I am attempting a filesystem recovery, I'll boot into something like Debian Linux since it's less likely to give you the "Windows can't see it so it's broken" BS. DD'ing your suspect drive into another drive is good practice, but it could take several hours to several days. If it's not the hardware you might be better off using the deeper scan mode in Testdisk to see if you can find something off the original, and then if you can, just point the recovery directory to another drive so the stuff you found is not written back to the suspect drive.

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
Thank you everyone for your inputs.
I am asking as I am trying not to pay exorbitant data recovery fees as well.
The drive spins up , I do not hear any clicking and does not appear damaged. It does get warm though if i do a "rescan" in disk management, and it spins for a long while( and does not appear to stop).It is a shucked Seagate 2.5" 5TB drive.
Testdisk does not show the drive to be present. But diskpart and the disk management in Win 10 does. But not if I add the drive to PC via a sata to USB connection.

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
BTW, I am in Singapore. If there is anyone local who might be able to help me out...please pm me! Most grateful.

Haven't told the missus yet...yikes!

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Loaded gparted....but 5 TB drive is not visible, even after a rescan.
What should I do?
How is it connected to the machine? USB-to-SATA connector? Directly attached via the SATA Port? Does sudo dmesg | grep sd even show a device being plugged in?

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
Looks like ddrescue did the trick, I managed to save both drives' worth of data even though some of it is corrupt.