Virtual Windows workstation run on a headless CentOS server running KVM with ...

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
Are you that paranoid about data corruption? Qcow2 is alright for some stuff i guess. EXT4 can be converted to BTRFS when you feel like it.

StephD

Dec 17, 2013
I want to learn things I can use at work so ZFS is a must. I am especially interested in deduplication, data corruption prevention and replication, things that Linux gives me a hard time with lately (with hardlink based snapshots and rsync mirroring). I've also the feeling I need to expand my virtualization skills beyond just VMWare solutions.

It's good to know ext4 can be converted to btrfs anyway. Thanks.

Last edited:

StephD

Dec 17, 2013

I also figured I'd be glad I could swap disks easily so I got this sata hot swap bay.

StephD

Dec 17, 2013
I suggest I go with M500s because they're cheaper and feature power loss protection plus I could be interested in experimenting with encryption features at some point.

Last edited:

StephD

Dec 17, 2013
I will probably find some time to get things started this week-end. Now I shall decide which OS to start with. I am looking at FreeBSD, CentOS, OmniOS, and probably Ubuntu Server as I can remember I reading something interesting about it (but can't really remember what).

Last edited:

StephD

Dec 17, 2013
Now this is very interesting :

http://forums.servethehome.com/sola...-zfs-raid-snapraid-media-server-napp-box.html

I'd install host OS and VM system disk images on expensive ssd boot drive as data would stay on Snapraid set made of cheap spinners.

Noise/heat wouldn't be an issue since they'd sleep most of the time. I could even have another SSD in the mix so I'd only hear a sound on sync-run.

I'm pretty much sold ! :D

Last edited:

StephD

Dec 17, 2013
I will probably find some time to get things started this week-end. Now I shall decide which OS to start with. I am looking at FreeBSD, CentOS, OmniOS, and probably Ubuntu Server as I can remember I reading something interesting about it (but can't really remember what).
Alright let's go for a napp-it barebone setup and see what happens.

StephD

Dec 17, 2013
I ended up playing with IPMI and setting up SOL this week-end. Nothing is really running yet. It's not a bad thing since it gave me the opportunity to think twice and I now want an USB the boot drive as suggested here.

http://www.napp-it.org/downloads/omnios.html

Actually, I might reconsider running OmniOS as an hypervisor and return to ESX for a Napp-in-One system (provided I can passthrough onboard disk controller) because the KVM based version of it is not really documented anywhere yet.

Last edited:

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
I ended up playing with IPMI and setting up SOL this week-end. Nothing is really running yet. It's not a bad thing since it gave me the opportunity to think twice and I now want an USB the boot drive as suggested here.

napp-it // webbased ZFS NAS/SAN appliance for OmniOS, OpenIndiana, Solaris and Linux downloads

Actually, I might reconsider running OmniOS as an hypervisor and return to ESX for a Napp-in-One system (provided I can passthrough onboard disk controller) because the KVM based version of it is not really documented anywhere yet.
How do you manage VMs in Omni OS? Passthrough for PCIE devices is pretty easy with KVM, but you may have to enable some IOMMU flags for it to work. May be OMni OS specific.

StephD

Dec 17, 2013
How do you manage VMs in Omni OS? Passthrough for PCIE devices is pretty easy with KVM, but you may have to enable some IOMMU flags for it to work. May be OMni OS specific.
I don't have a clue. OmniOS isn't even configured yet. I'm totally new to it so I just started à thread in the Linux forum to see if anybody can help or at least confirm this is achievable.