VMware Guest RAID pass through question

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
Hey

Probably a dumb one but here we go... if I pass through a RAID controller to a VM guest and I attach that to an external storage via simple SAS cables if the VM is switched off since the RAID controller still has power does it still manage the raid i.e. if I started pulling drives out would it alert / potentially fail the RAID?

The simple reason is I want to decommission a computer. My DL380 gen8 only has 2.5" inch drives and I want to remove a computer from my compute empire by passing through this media storage array to a VM) It would be a pain though if I had to switch down the whole virtual host to add or replace a drive etc.

I'm probably not in too bad a position either way since this is a JBOD with snapraid on top of it but would always prefer a clean shutdown over a dirty one.

Thanks

K D

Dec 24, 2016
In case of RAID controllers, the drives are managed by the controller and not the VM
so it doesn't matter if the VM is powered on or not. If you pull out a drive, then the controller will register it.

No matter how you slice it, if your controller does not support hotswap, you will need to restart.

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
In case of RAID controllers, the drives are managed by the controller and not the VM
so it doesn't matter if the VM is powered on or not. If you pull out a drive, then the controller will register it.

No matter how you slice it, if your controller does not support hotswap, you will need to restart.
Thanks for the clarification!