Dual Xeon & 4x GPU Build Help

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Gspangle

Jan 11, 2018
Build’s Name: HAL

Operating System/ Storage Platform: Windows 10 Pro

CPU: 2x Xeon 2630 v4

Motherboard: Need Recommendation

Chassis: Need Recommendation (Workstation – not Rack)

GPUs: 4x GTX 1080 ti

RAM: 64gb DDR4 2400MHz ECC

Power Supply: Need Recommendations

Usage Profile: Custom Text Mining / Deep Learning applications

Other information:
Can anyone recommend a motherboard, case and PSU that will support the heat and size of this configuration

Last edited:

maxermaxer

Oct 28, 2016
You can try Asus z10PE d8 ws (8 RAM slots) or Asus z10PE d16 ws (16 RAM slots). The size of this motherboard is easier to find chassis to accommodate. You can also try some similar ASRock board.

If you want to go with Supermicro X10DRG-Q you need to be prepared to mod the chassis or have very limited choices.

PSU. Go with Corsair AX1500i or dual PSU if your chassis allows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Gspangle

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
Will the GPUs be cooled with air or liquid? In other words, does the case need to accommodate a water loop?

Btw: Corsair just launched their AX1600i which seems to be the improved successor of the AX1500i
Corsair AX1600i PSU Review

Gspangle

Jan 11, 2018
Will the GPUs be cooled with air or liquid? In other words, does the case need to accommodate a water loop?

Btw: Corsair just launched their AX1600i which seems to be the improved successor of the AX1500i
Corsair AX1600i PSU Review
I am open to eaiter, but I am not comfortable building a custom loop. So the only way that I think that could work is with an AIO solution and I am not aware of any that can support the four cards.

maxermaxer

Oct 28, 2016
If the GPUs are going to be run full load for a long period of time and you don’t like heat and noise then custom liquid cooling is the way to go. I used to think air cooling is good enough but I now change my mind to build custom liquid cool.

FYI, I use two quad-GPU system. One is with dual Xeon. I have both Asus and SM boards I mentioned above.

Gspangle

Jan 11, 2018
If the GPUs are going to be run full load for a long period of time and you don’t like heat and noise then custom liquid cooling is the way to go. I used to think air cooling is good enough but I now change my mind to build custom liquid cool.

FYI, I use two quad-GPU system. One is with dual Xeon. I have both Asus and SM boards I mentioned above.

Thanks for the info - I guess I am going to have to get comfortable with the idea of water in the system.

How do you like to performance of you machine with the 4x 1070s?

maxermaxer

Oct 28, 2016
Thanks for the info - I guess I am going to have to get comfortable with the idea of water in the system.

How do you like to performance of you machine with the 4x 1070s?
I need to update my signature since I am going to update them to 1080 Ti. 1070 has good price performance ratio. For the purpose I am using them (GPU Rendering) they are good but I would like to get as many CUDAs as possible thus I am going to upgrade them to 1080 Ti. What application do you actually use?

maxermaxer

Oct 28, 2016
By the way I only use FE edition since the 4 GPUs are too close to each other. Aftermarket coolers won’t be suitable.

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
If you don't care too much about the noise, you can use air cooling for this setup.

What you will need are blower-style cards (the cooling solution that the FE cards use) instead of after-market solutions with axial fans. The blower coolers will transport the heat outside of the case immediately instead of dumping and dispersing it inside the case. So even if you should find dual-slot 1080TIs with axial fans, do not use them.
And if you ever decide to add water cooling, you will have less trouble finding suitable water blocks for the FE board layout.

For the case (with air cooling) I would recommend the Fractal Design Define XL R2. It is large enough to fit all the components and has plenty of mounting positions for 140mm fans. Most importantly, one strategically placed in the side panel above the GPUs. And thanks to its noise insulation it will reduce the sound level to some extent. It is also the same case that Puget Systems use for some of their multi-GPU workstations.
Depending on the motherboard you buy, you will need to drill 3 more holes in the mainboard tray for additional standoffs. At least with supermicro "E-ATX" boards that differ from the ATX standard in this regard.

Last edited:

Gspangle

Jan 11, 2018
I need to update my signature since I am going to update them to 1080 Ti. 1070 has good price performance ratio. For the purpose I am using them (GPU Rendering) they are good but I would like to get as many CUDAs as possible thus I am going to upgrade them to 1080 Ti. What application do you actually use?

THANKS!!
I currently use SPSS, Rapid Miner, KH Coder, Pytorch, TensorFlow and a variety of Apache products

Venturi

Apr 22, 2016
I suggest super micro X10DRG-Q, best of the best for 4 gpu builds and 2x cpu sockets

you may see my other builds on this board with 4 Titan XP full SLI and the recent build of 4 Titan V