Delta Networks ET-DT7024 24 Port 10GB SFP+

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

pepperoni

Mar 24, 2017
I bought a Delta Networks ET-DT7024 24 Port 10GB SFP+ 4 x10GBase-T Layer 3 Switch with Dell PowerConnect 8024F firmware 5.11.1.1 which is working as expected. I use it with 10G DACs, but have a need to use fiber because of range. I have 3 different types of FS.com recommended 10G SFP+ transceivers and cables.
331-5311
E10GSFPSR
407-10356
several OM3 MM LC-LC fiber cables (10M)

When I try to set it up on the Delta Networks ET-DT7024 , it doesn't recognize any of the SFP+ transceivers. No lights and tried several ports. I've checked several pdfs and online advice, but still no luck.

I also have a Quanta LB6M (the Delta replaced it) that I tried with the transceivers. It works by just plugging the transceivers in to any port, so I know the transceiver and cable are working.

I know I'm doing something wrong, but haven't figured it out yet !

Attachments

Last edited:

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
I bought a Delta Networks ET-DT7024 24 Port 10GB SFP+ 4 x10GBase-T Layer 3 Switch with Dell PowerConnect 8024F firmware 5.11.1.1 which is working as expected. I use it with 10G DACs, but have a need to use fiber because of range. I have 3 different types of FS.com recommended 10G SFP+ transceivers and cables.
331-5311
E10GSFPSR
407-10356
several OM3 MM LC-LC fiber cables (10M)

When I try to set it up on the Delta Networks ET-DT7024 , it doesn't recognize any of the SFP+ transceivers. No lights and tried several ports. I've checked several pdfs and online advice, but still no luck.
A Delta switch flashed to Dell firmware will want Dell transceivers. However, not all Dell transceivers work in the 8024F. I purchased some genuine Dell dual-rate ones and the 8024 didn't recognize them. Apparently they only work in some other type of Dell switch. You should get something like this:
Code:
switch2#show fiber-ports optical-transceiver

Output    Input
Port      Temp  Voltage  Current     Power    Power   TX     LOS
           [C]   [Volt]     [mA]     [dBm]    [dBm]   Fault
--------  ----  -------  -------   -------  -------   -----  ---
Te1/0/22  38.5    3.274     44.8    -1.908  -36.990   No     Yes
Te1/0/23  41.0    3.316      7.1    -1.993   -1.940   No     No
Te1/0/24  43.9    3.271      7.4    -1.978   -2.766   No     No
Having said that, the Dell RK0CX which is definitely supported cross-references to the 331-5311 number you gave above, so it should work.

Are you trying these in the SFP+ dedicated ports (1-20) or the shared ports (21-24)?

It is also possible that it is a CPLD incompatibility, though I would think that whoever cross-flashed the switch took care of that. From a privileged session on the console serial port (it won't work over the network) enter "dev cpldTest":
Code:
console#dev cpldTest
Board Type : Campbell 24F
Board Version : 2
CPLD Revision : 6 (0x6)
RPS2 Present
RPS2 Status : Working
RPS2 Temperature : Normal
RPS2 Fan Status : Working
RPS1 Present
RPS1 Status : Working
RPS1 Temperature : Normal
RPS1 Fan Status : Working
Port SFP Status Link Status Tx Power
---- ---------- ----------- --------
1 Present Up Enabled
2 Present Up Enabled
3 Not Present Down Disabled
4 Not Present Down Disabled
5 Not Present Down Disabled
6 Not Present Down Disabled
7 Not Present Down Disabled
8 Not Present Down Disabled
9 Present Up Enabled
10 Present Up Enabled
11 Not Present Down Disabled
12 Not Present Down Disabled
13 Not Present Down Disabled
14 Not Present Down Disabled
15 Not Present Down Disabled
16 Not Present Down Disabled
17 Not Present Down Enabled
18 Not Present Down Enabled
19 Not Present Down Disabled
20 Not Present Down Disabled
21 Not Present Down Disabled
22 Not Present Down Disabled
23 Not Present Down Disabled
24 Not Present Down Disabled
Fan control IC has failed
Fan1 Status : Working
Fan2 Status : Working
Fan3 Status : Working
value = 36 = 0x24
Note that it is normal to get the "Fan control IC has failed". Check your CPLD revision and make sure it is 6. If it is not, contact whoever you bought the switch from and confirm it is OK to do "dev cpldUpdate". It is safe on a real Dell switch, but I'm not sure about cross-flashed Delta units.

"dev cpldTest" also tells you (at a much lower level in the switch) if it thinks it has an SFP in each of the ports.

[NOTE: Any links in this post are auto-generated advertising links.]

pepperoni

Mar 24, 2017
A Delta switch flashed to Dell firmware will want Dell transceivers. However, not all Dell transceivers work in the 8024F. I purchased some genuine Dell dual-rate ones and the 8024 didn't recognize them. Apparently they only work in some other type of Dell switch. You should get something like this:
Code:
switch2#show fiber-ports optical-transceiver

Output Input
Port Temp Voltage Current Power Power TX LOS
[C] [Volt] [mA] [dBm] [dBm] Fault
-------- ---- ------- ------- ------- ------- ----- ---
Te1/0/22 38.5 3.274 44.8 -1.908 -36.990 No Yes
Te1/0/23 41.0 3.316 7.1 -1.993 -1.940 No No
Te1/0/24 43.9 3.271 7.4 -1.978 -2.766 No No
Having said that, the Dell RK0CX which is definitely supported cross-references to the 331-5311 number you gave above, so it should work.

Are you trying these in the SFP+ dedicated ports (1-20) or the shared ports (21-24)?

It is also possible that it is a CPLD incompatibility, though I would think that whoever cross-flashed the switch took care of that. From a privileged session on the console serial port (it won't work over the network) enter "dev cpldTest":
Code:
console#dev cpldTest
Board Type : Campbell 24F
Board Version : 2
CPLD Revision : 6 (0x6)
RPS2 Present
RPS2 Status : Working
RPS2 Temperature : Normal
RPS2 Fan Status : Working
RPS1 Present
RPS1 Status : Working
RPS1 Temperature : Normal
RPS1 Fan Status : Working
Port SFP Status Link Status Tx Power
---- ---------- ----------- --------
1 Present Up Enabled
2 Present Up Enabled

Concerning 
3 Not Present Down Disabled
4 Not Present Down Disabled
5 Not Present Down Disabled
6 Not Present Down Disabled
7 Not Present Down Disabled
8 Not Present Down Disabled
9 Present Up Enabled
10 Present Up Enabled
11 Not Present Down Disabled
12 Not Present Down Disabled
13 Not Present Down Disabled
14 Not Present Down Disabled
15 Not Present Down Disabled
16 Not Present Down Disabled
17 Not Present Down Enabled
18 Not Present Down Enabled
19 Not Present Down Disabled
20 Not Present Down Disabled
21 Not Present Down Disabled
22 Not Present Down Disabled
23 Not Present Down Disabled
24 Not Present Down Disabled
Fan control IC has failed
Fan1 Status : Working
Fan2 Status : Working
Fan3 Status : Working
value = 36 = 0x24
Note that it is normal to get the "Fan control IC has failed". Check your CPLD revision and make sure it is 6. If it is not, contact whoever you bought the switch from and confirm it is OK to do "dev cpldUpdate". It is safe on a real Dell switch, but I'm not sure about cross-flashed Delta units.

"dev cpldTest" also tells you (at a much lower level in the switch) if it thinks it has an SFP in each of the ports.
@Terry Kennedy ... Thanks for info, here are my results from the fiber-port optical-transceiver command. I received the same results from all three brands of transceiver.

Concerning the dev cpldTest command, I used a cable as you suggested. The results look similar to yours, I was using port 1 for the fiber-transceiver. Looks like my CPLD is revision 6. Just as a note , I used several other ports to check, same results.

The computer on the other side of this fiber cable has a Intel X520-DA2 and works with any of the transceivers that I stick in when I change the switch to a LB6M. Everything works as it should. I believe you could stick a fork in theLBM6 and it would work, very forgiving.

Thanks for you help

Attachments

Last edited:

pepperoni

Mar 24, 2017
Just as a follow up on working SFP+ transceivers for the Delta Networks ET-DT7024 24 Port 10GB SFP+ 4 x10GBase-T Layer 3 Switch that has been changed into a Dell PowerConnect 8024F running firmware 5.11.1.1. I finally found a SFP+ transceiver that works, FTLX8571D3BCV-IT.