POE Switches

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I know we all have storage related ebay searches... but what about POE switches? I know a lot of us here like to stick to one manufacturer or models, so maybe this is easier if we all 'combine' into this thread?

I'm looking for 4-8 POE port POE switch for cameras in another office/building/room, ideally it would also have 1x SFP Gigabit.

I was looking at: NetGear GS110TP-200NAS because I have a couple of them and they work, but for $120 it seems like I could be getting MORE bang for my buck, especially used.

What are your " GO TO " small POE switches? Make/Model and expected/deal price?

NETGEAR ProSAFE 8-Port PoE Gigabit Smart Managed Switch with 2 Gigabit SFP Ports 53w (GS110TP-200NAS) - Lifetime Warranty-Newegg.com
$10 rebate card, not best deal but direction I'm going.

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
Currently have an 8 port Cisco 3560cg in use that I was able to get on eBay for 60$.

Otherwise would be looking at the ubiquity poe switches since I already have some of their gear in use

One other potentially interesting option are some of the juniper switches which can offer a limited number of poe ports on the non poe version of the switch and have 10gig sfp+ ports

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: T_Minus

Monoman

Oct 16, 2013
UBNT switches, I've invested into their infra so I'd go with them. I have the US-8-60w, it's an 8 port (4 of poe) for $112. If you need SFP, the US-8-150w which is 8 POE ports with 2 SFP.

Or the cisco SG300 line, we use them at work.

Reactions: pc_doom and T_Minus

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I'm really happy with the GS110TP. Built like a brick. Outstanding warranty. Very power efficient.

Biggest gripe is the management. Kinda crappy web-ui, no SSL for the UI, no SNMP. But it does its job and does it reliably.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Thanks for more ideas guys I'll check those out to!

UBNT makes sense since I'm using their cameras afterall... will check into it :)

@PigLover yeah, that's how I feel right now I have 2 in service for 5 years? however long, 0 issues, and they just 'work'... gui, ya ugh.. LOL!!

Monoman

Oct 16, 2013
I should also say I'm using the US-16-150w for my PoE duties (AP's and cameras) and it's working fine. the US-8-60w on my desk is for playing with poe raspberry pi or settings up new poe toys. :D

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I also have a Cisco sg500x-48p that was my workhorse for all 1gbe, both POE and not. It's a very nice switch but it's getting retired soon due to its ~60W draw (before any POE gets plugged in) and its fans that get stupid loud sometimes.

I'm moving all 'internal' POE onto a 2nd gs110tp. My cameras are already isolated onto their own gs110tp that is not connected to anything but the computer running the NVR (a bit paranoid about viral camera firmware...).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
I had a Ubiquiti ES24 with a failed power supply 14 mos old. They still agreed to RMA it, but beware of the 12mos warranty.

I ended up picking up an SG350/SG500 and putting in PoE midspans like PD-9012G-ACDC/M with 802.3at. This still gives you web/ssh to power cycle, and then you can add PoE to ports as needed, without issues with the switch backplane/uplink scalability. You can get 802.3at/af to passive PoE for Ubiquiti equipment (if you have UVC-G3, etc.), and Ubiquiti is moving to 802.3at/af moving forward anyway.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Moved to an All UBNT (UniFi) stack for the home network. UBNT US-16-150 and US-8-150 power all APs, cameras and Cloudkey, Control4, 2 US-8 and one netgear.

Tried the US-24-25o watt but decided to replace with the smaller ones to reduce noise.

ServerSemi

Jan 12, 2017
Been using my hp 2920 24port poe switch for the past 6 months with no issues. One thing to note tho with ubiquiti switches is that they don't officially support poe standard they just send the power thru it. Someone can chime in and give more details but I'll rather use a cisco/dell/juniper/hp switch with poe even tho they are more expensive.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Interesting @ElBerryKM13 hmmmm, any one know why this is? Why are they not "officially" supporting the standard? $$$ ?

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
I don't think I need 48 port POE and another 52 LOL!!! But, that does look nice!!

Trenching = Expensive & Labor

Adding new switch = Cheap & minimal time

Being lazy, avoiding running back to home :( LOL!! 2nd-building problems

Is that a good price or what's "good deal" price? May just low ball depending on idle power, etc... trying to run 100-150w to keep this building/office not freezing in winter so might just fit in with a couple other pieces I'm gonna run there ha ha.

tullnd

Apr 19, 2016
USA
Been using my hp 2920 24port poe switch for the past 6 months with no issues. One thing to note tho with ubiquiti switches is that they don't officially support poe standard they just send the power thru it. Someone can chime in and give more details but I'll rather use a cisco/dell/juniper/hp switch with poe even tho they are more expensive.
This is not entirely accurate. A lot of Ubiquiti devices used to use passive 24 volt POE to power them. There were some older switches that only supported passive 24 volt and sometimes passive 24/48 volt POE. Any of the more recent switches support passive 24volt and also 802.3af/at. Also, almost all their new devices that are powered via POE are now requiring 802.3af or 802.3at support. They even make inline converters to switch the signal for compatibility with other switches.

So any new Ubiquiti switch will meet the two main POE standards. It's their older Tough Switch line that I'd be cautious of. Also, Ubiquiti is hardly the only switch manufacturer that supported passive POE in the past, instead of 802.3af/at. There's still a ton of them that I find on ebay and amazon that don't really support the standard.

I'm researching this right now since I picked up two of the Ubiquiti In Wall AC units and they only work with 802.3af/at, not any passive POE solution. So the cost of two af/at injectors is almost the cost of a 5-8 port POE switch. But the 8 port 150 watt Unifi kit is a little pricey, so I'm not convinced yet to make that jump. Maybe for the 8 port 60 watt.

maze

Apr 27, 2013
I should also say I'm using the US-16-150w for my PoE duties (AP's and cameras) and it's working fine. the US-8-60w on my desk is for playing with poe raspberry pi or settings up new poe toys. :D
Poe, pi... tell me more!? :)

In regards to switches I use a c3650C for poe, and hp1810G for regular. Really want to Pick up something with 4 sfp+ ports, poe+ and 24 gbit ports for home.. but any switches I come by Seem very expensive or use like 100w idle which kills it really..

Last edited:

Jon Massey

Nov 11, 2015
Another happy GS110TP user here. UI isn't great but I don't use many of the mgmt features so no major complaints. Used it with one of those Ubiquiti converters to power an ER-X

Monoman

Oct 16, 2013

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Thanks for the opinions and ideas everyone... still not 100% if I'm gonna end up keeping the 48p netgear POE or just selling it off and going with like 3-5 smaller switches more near the cameras. I really wish I was trenching the first in the ground here but 30+ years of DIY is making this more of a challenge/mess. I WILL have the electrical company out here surveying for my fiber trench so during that time I'm hoping to put in 3-5 more for cameras.

The issue I have is that I want to see 'around' my house more than just 'right outside' which is what's common in residential settings.. we live extremely rural, so to SEE my driveway with a camera I need to run the camera well over 100' away from the building, and then point it down at the driveway to get the 200'+ of someone coming up the driveway. The issue here is that for anyone who's used IP CAMS is you really need 2 one for up close (license plates/persons) and another for 'big picture', and then while I'm at this location installing 2 cameras at the driveway I may as well install 2 more sideways, and 2 more LOOKING back at the house. So now I'm up to 5 cameras in 1 location over 100' from the house. This specific location will be where the fiber drop comes in from the power pole so I can use the same trench, but same scenario in 2-4 other places around the property. I want to do the same thing with the animals out back to keep an eye on them and predators... 3-5 cameras pointing at chickens, back fence, garden, another bundle of them at the well house facing that way, and another bundle down by the wood shed.

Basically want to monitor the complete border around the house as well as the 2-3 possible entrance points onto the property.

Originally got the big switch to run lines to them all and centrally manage it... now thinking running 1k+ of Cat5e snaked underground isn't the best idea, and I should focus on more homerunning to central locations, and then connecting POE cameras for a short 5-20' run.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Monoman

Oct 16, 2013
OT, I know, but gotta chime in...

If you want something for the Pi that is a bit more "Pi-ish" than the splitter dongle: Pi PoE Switch HAT - Power over Ethernet for Raspberry Pi • Pi Supply

I know - ridiculously priced (20% more than a Pi-3 by itself). But beautifully done. :)

super nice, I almost bought them but for what I was needing, 10x in total would be a budget killer. There's some other "china" versions as well but nothing is nearly as nice as this pi-HAT.