How do you protect your home network

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

DD Anthony

Jan 14, 2017
Houston Texas
Is there an easy way to block ddos attacks on a home network without buying expensive hardware? such as maybe a cheap firewall or something? Get in your mind I'm not a network guru so these recommendations mean a lot.

ArcticFox_RU

Jan 22, 2017
Before you build some kind of protection from distributed attack you should build you routing independency (get IPv4/IPv6 AS/PI) - it's needed to protect your bandwidth with some kind of routing protection (blackhole community).
Now you should deploy your firewall in compliance with BCP.
The next one step is to build your IDS (use suricata/snort) and make it react against threats (sending config to firewall and router) that make it IPS.

To have protection against bandwidth attack you should have enough bandwidth and have a possibility to send your ISP prefixes to filter (using BGP communities).

There is a lot things to do, that make you should to read more books.

Tom5051

Jan 18, 2017
Is there an easy way to block ddos attacks on a home network without buying expensive hardware? such as maybe a cheap firewall or something? Get in your mind I'm not a network guru so these recommendations mean a lot.
Most decent consumer routers have DOS protection and basic firewall settings.
No need to go crazy unless you are storing national secrets...

Last edited:

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
not DDoS, just DoS, it's different
1) the OP asked about DDOS attacks
2) what, exactly, are you talking about when speaking of a DOS attack in the context of a home network that isn't a bandwidth exhaustion attack, and what, exactly, would a device in the home mitigate that attack?

ArcticFox_RU

Jan 22, 2017
1) the OP asked about DDOS attacks
impossible mitigate DDoS without building a uplink community filtering. And it's also not panacea.
2) what, exactly, are you talking about when speaking of a DOS attack in the context of a home network that isn't a bandwidth exhaustion attack, and what, exactly, would a device in the home mitigate that attack?
DoS - denial of service, how you can make a home network with some published services to go out of service? - Attack services. If services are attacked, the attack have some signatures that could be found and be negated.

DDoS - mostly is targeted to exhausting some of resources,

Reactions: DD Anthony

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
impossible mitigate DDoS
yes, that's what I said

DoS - denial of service, how you can make a home network with some published services to go out of service?
denial of service is "denial of service", that's it--it doesn't imply a mechanism. "distributed denial of service" just means that the attack is coming from more than one place--it still doesn't imply a specific mechanism. In either case, resource exhaustion (using up all the bandwidth on the home network's link) is the easiest and most effective attack. It doesn't really matter if the attack is coming from one remote source or multiple, the home network runs out of bandwidth, end of story, and there's nothing you can do on the home end to stop it.

- Attack services. If services are attacked, the attack have some signatures that could be found and be negated.
This is fairly unlikely in the context of a home network, which is generally not providing services. In the off chance that the home network is providing services, there's nothing a fancy router is going to do in terms of mitigations that you couldn't do at the endpoint providing the service.

Side note: some home router/switches have a "DDOS protection" button in their GUI. Generally what these do is prevent a device on the home network from launching certain kinds of attacks by limiting connection rates. This button can be a pain in the butt if you want to do something like scan your own network and stupid "DDOS protection" decides to prevent it.

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
So in other words my switch at home should do the job? switch/router that is.
Whatever you have now will fall over if hit by a ddos attack for much less money than a more expensive device would fall over if hit by a ddos attack. Is there a particular reason you're concerned about ddos?

DD Anthony

Jan 14, 2017
Houston Texas
Whatever you have now will fall over if hit by a ddos attack for much less money than a more expensive device would fall over if hit by a ddos attack. Is there a particular reason you're concerned about ddos?
The last couple days I seem to have been getting a weird disconnection say every 4 hours or so, I've called Verizon multiple times and they have no information for me they basically tell me call when the situation happens again but its so brief possibly 2-3 minute intervals. Its mainly my belief that I'm being hit with a DoS attack but then again I'm not a network guru by any means.

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
The last couple days I seem to have been getting a weird disconnection say every 4 hours or so, I've called Verizon multiple times and they have no information for me they basically tell me call when the situation happens again but its so brief possibly 2-3 minute intervals. Its mainly my belief that I'm being hit with a DoS attack but then again I'm not a network guru by any means.
Good news: it's almost certainly not a ddos attack. Without more information it's hard to say what it is. Can you access the GUI on the router? What happens to the lights on the router when you have the problem? If I had to guess I'd say its rebooting for some reason. What model is it?

wildchild

Feb 4, 2014
I think your first step would be to start monitoring to see exact what happens, and when.
Easiest would be a syslog server i guess.
Then identify the source, start by blocking that.
In any case i'd setup some blackhole routing, to block out known trouble networks from connecting all together.
There's community maintained ip blocklists for that, and edgeos,vyatta,juniper,cisco and pfsense etc have plenty of guides av on how to set that up

fractal

Jun 7, 2016
Sad to say but the symptoms you describe are more often than not caused consumer side.

Do you use bittorrent? It is notorious for producing the symptoms you described on cheap consumer grade equipment.

Have you scanned all of your machines for malware? The symptoms you described are symptomatic of a borged machine.

There is not much the average joe-home-user can do if someone with pretty basic knowledge wants to inconvenience you. Your ISP generally does an average job of handling random external attacks. They will generally give you a new IP address at the first sign of trouble that ends most drive-by attacks. You can often do the same by power cycling your modem/router.

But there is not a whole lot you can do without multiple internet connections and the ability to influence your upstream provider. It is way too easy to saturate an average consumers "last mile."

maze

Apr 27, 2013
... please remove the tinfoile hat.

Start from the bottom. What are the lights indicating on your router when it happens? - is it different than normal "operation"?

Did you install some new and fancy "gimmi 100gbitz for free awesome" piece of software?
- or did your son just figure out what utorrent is..?