Refurb 3TB Ultrastar: $55 shipped

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Tom5051

Jan 18, 2017
I hope the $55 is for the shipping for those door stops because I wouldn't touch them with a million foot pole.

Tom5051

Jan 18, 2017
Bad experiences with the brand over 30+ years.
Why do you think they are "refurbed"?

J--

Aug 13, 2016
Bad experiences w/ HGST? You are, by far, in the minority.

They are "refurbed" because they are pulled from servers that are moving to higher density storage.

Many users (myself included) have their 2TB drives from when Newegg was selling them in the $35 range, and there's been no outcry of failed drives.

Perhaps youre thinking of Seagate? Where they was a severe design flaw w/ their 3TB drives?

Who makes the most reliable hard drive? Latest BackBlaze survey claims to know

Reactions: warlockedyou

Tom5051

Jan 18, 2017
The results displayed in that graph do not represent my real world experiences. I have found IBM / Hitachi to have by far the highest failure rate of any vendor. Seagate are a very close second when it comes to unreliability. Almost guaranteed to fail IMHO.
I have never had a WD fail.
Also the data that makes that graph is skewed due to the limited number of test drives in the pool for WD and Seagate. The author even mentions this!

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Hmm... "22,731 Hitachi hard drives" is a rather large sample. Simply looking at Hiatchi and them only you can conclude that by that BackBlaze study they are reliable drives regardless of other manufacturers in the study, and their failure rates.

Are you saying that in your 30+ years you've dealt with more than 23,000 Hitachi drives and that WD has a lower % failure rate? How many WD drives have you dealt with?

Reactions: warlockedyou

Tom5051

Jan 18, 2017
Hmm... "22,731 Hitachi hard drives" is a rather large sample. Simply looking at Hiatchi and them only you can conclude that by that BackBlaze study they are reliable drives regardless of other manufacturers in the study, and their failure rates.

Are you saying that in your 30+ years you've dealt with more than 23,000 Hitachi drives and that WD has a lower % failure rate? How many WD drives have you dealt with?

What I am saying is the graphs show exactly what I would expect it to. The higher the number of each model, the lower the total failure % will appear. Junk data in, junk data out.
It shows nothing more than this.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
I understand what you're saying however if you only look at Hitachi don't you think their failure rate would be > if they were "your experience" in them being the absolute worst?

So what's your experience with WD, Hitachi, Seagate as to why you rate them last even beyond Seagate? How many drives of each are you experienced with in your 30+ years?

Tom5051

Jan 18, 2017
Well my first hard drive was a 20MB western digital voice coil.
Personally I don't keep a count of how many hard drives I have interacted with over the years but it is enough to form an educated opinion.
Was reading an article recently that suggested 3TB drives from ANY vendor are the most unreliable size of drive currently available.
Whether that is true is a matter of debate.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
The stats listed here are not accurate as per my previous post.
They are perfectly accurate... but not all are significant.

The HGST and Seagate numbers show that even with a stupendous number of disks seagates are far less reliable than HGST.

If you have followed backblaze over past years you would see they didn't always have many HGST drives... and at that time they still had a 1-1-2% failure rate. You are making bold hypotheses that are simply untrue. The failure rate dropped for seagate not because they got more drives... but because they had a 50% failure rate on their 3TB model. As those have been finishing dying out... they have been replaced by more reliable models.

They offer up all their raw data, and their analysis separately. You will see multiple ways to look at the data... They have had many months where they have not lost a single HGST drive. You don't simply have lower failure rates by having more drives... that is not how this works... that is not how any of this works.

Reactions: T_Minus

zir_blazer

Dec 5, 2016
Bad experiences with the brand over 30+ years.
Why do you think they are "refurbed"?
For this sole comment, I deduce that you are an oldbie that is still bitter due to the famous IBM DeathStar fiasco. Ironically, things have shifted a lot in the last 5 years or so, mostly since the WD plant flooding.

Reactions: pgh5278 and Patriot

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
I hope the $55 is for the shipping for those door stops because I wouldn't touch them with a million foot pole.
Never fails to amuse me when someone says brand XYZ is no good / rubbish etc. Yes, we may all of had bad experiences with Brand Y Model A etc.. I am almost 60, and to relate to things that happened 10+ years ago is generally futile. The world changes, Technology changes, CEO change, CTO change, the competitiveness changes. Similarly at work, things that we used 30 years ago, can or maybe irrelevant to our work today, as so many things are changed..
I had heard so many people bad mouthing seagate drives (often with a good amount of emotion attached), went out and bought 12 to run and see. 2 yrs later no issues.
I work hard to keep an open mind and keep old prejudices out of my decisions, as they can only lower than value, as they can be based on old knowledge which can be often irrelavant today..

Recommend You try some HGST drives to overcome your deep set prejudice.. Have had 6 HGST 3TB 0f1246 models (ultrastar running 24/7 for almost 5 yrs ), but that wont necessarily make my buy them in the future..

Good Luck Tom5051

Reactions: Marsh

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Ah good old Deathstars I recall trying IBM and running into that and going back to WD!! LOL