Turns off when trying to overclock, which component may no work

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Feb 4, 2024
Accessories:
Supermicro H11DSI REV 2.0
based on two AMD EPYC 7551 processors
16 blocks of RAM with a frequency of 26666 and a capacity of 8 GB each
Processors are cooled by water cooling.
A 900W power supply unit.
A 128 GB solid-state drive.
Server enclosure B206L-B-0.
The power consumption is 450-550 watts in autoboost mode with 100% CPU usage.
We set the frequency to 3.0 for all cores + set sufficient voltage, then when the processors load at 100% after a while, for some reason the power is turned off.

Last edited:

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
get multimeter, and check your over current protection, and phases.

Keep in mind the 32c @ 180W is only when running in auto/standard mode. It doesn't overclock all cores, some unused cores will go down to ease power consumption. Its likely all 3GHz you are hitting around or over 300W on cpu alone. Can your motherboard provide that, and can you handle the TjMax - if it goes to high it may be a problem and reason why you are shutting down?

Feb 4, 2024
Аксессуары:
Супермикро H11DSI РЕД. 2.0
на двух процессорах AMD EPYC 7551
16 единиц оперативной памяти с частотой 26666 и емкостью 8 ГБ каждая
Процессоры охлаждаются с помощью
гидроблок мощностью 900 Вт.
SSD-накопитель емкостью 128 ГБ.
Потребляемая мощность составляет 450-550 Вт в режиме автобуста при 100% загрузке процессора.
Выставляем частоту 3.0 для всех ядер + выставляем достаточное напряжение, потом при загрузке процессоров на 100% через некоторое время почему-то отключается питание.
[/ЦИТИРОВАТЬ]

Keep in mind the 32c @ 180W is only when running in auto/standard mode. It doesn't overclock all cores, some unused cores will go down to ease power consumption. Its likely all 3GHz you are hitting around or over 300W on cpu alone. Can your motherboard provide that, and can you handle the TjMax - if it goes to high it may be a problem and reason why you are shutting down?
Even disabling overclocking does not help when processors are running in "auto/standard mode"

Feb 4, 2024

The problem here is not simple, if it were a case of "TjMax" then I would have seen it in bmc.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
The problem here is not simple, if it were a case of "TjMax" then I would have seen it in bmc.
The bmc only reports avg temp as far as i'm aware | but i do recommend checking phases with multimeter. | have you tried different psu, or one with higher rating?

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2024
The bmc only reports avg temp as far as i'm aware | but i do recommend checking phases with multimeter. | have you tried different psu, or one with higher rating?
It turns out that the power supply cannot withstand?
Previously, the power supply could withstand overclocking, now even the standard mode is unstable, even with automatic overclocking. It turns off anyway when the processors are loaded at 100%.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
The system powers off when:
1) You hit overcurrent protection (likely short, or nr2)
2) You pull more wattage from psu than you have & hit nr.1
3) You are going over designed thermal limits
4) faulty psu & hit nr 1
5) there is short on the mobo, some phases are dead, or your socket needs a reflow resulting in more power being sent over still working pins ~ faulty motherboard and you hit nr1, nr2, and nr3
6) Have you tried ups? Crappy / noisy power input can create all kinds of issues.
7) check bmc logs

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2024
The system powers off when:
1) You hit overcurrent protection (likely short, or nr2)
2) You pull more wattage from psu than you have & hit nr.1
3) You are going over designed thermal limits
4) faulty psu & hit nr 1
5) there is short on the mobo, some phases are dead, or your socket needs a reflow resulting in more power being sent over still working pins ~ faulty motherboard and you hit nr1, nr2, and nr3
6) Have you tried ups? Crappy / noisy power input can create all kinds of issues.
7) check bmc logs
I connected the 750w power supply, on the 750w power supply the system stopped going into a power outage.
The consumption of the system is 589-595w at a frequency of 3.0 and a voltage of 1.006.
Which stabilizer is better to buy?

Feb 4, 2024
Depending on form factor, for atx this is potentially the best psu you can get.

joined with this ups for max stability.

(But obviously it depends how much are you willing to spend.)
You should try researching which psu's are the best, quite sure there are google sheets psu pages with their rankings.
Is the Exegate ServerPRO-2U-1000ADS with a power of 1000 Watts not a bad option?
The atx format device is poorly compatible with the 2u server enclosure?

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
That psu doesn't seem to have been certified in 80+, its likely poor quality.
(I would recommend to look for psu's that are actually certified)

I would recommend supermicro's 2u 800-1000W Titanium 80+ (they go for $10-$50 on used market)

and depending on needs a distribution ($20-$60) or breakout board ($?) (if there's need for extensive gpu support)
(if you are going this direction, make sure you get correct distribution board for the psu's you got)

Feb 4, 2024

I would recommend supermicro's 2u 800-1000W Titanium 80+ (they go for $10-$50 on used market)

and depending on needs a distribution ($20-$60) or breakout board ($?) (if there's need for extensive gpu support)
(if you are going this direction, make sure you get correct distribution board for the psu's you got)
"supermicro's 2u 800-1000W Titanium 80+" Does this power supply have 20/24pin cables and two 8pin cables?

Feb 4, 2024

Supermicro 1280W PWS-1K28P-SQ Is it a good option?

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
"supermicro's 2u 800-1000W Titanium 80+" Does this power supply have 20/24pin cables and two 8pin cables?
it depends on power distribution board, or breakout board.
(By itself it has only proprietary supermicro power plane port that connects to power distribution board or breakout board.)

Here's a page that sells combo breakout boards and psu's.

this would be top breakout board (on the page below is compatibility list)

Feb 4, 2024

PWS-1K02A-1R, Supermicro 1000W 80 Plus Titanium Switching Power Supply How to connect it, this unit does not have a 20pin + two 8pin cable, how can these units be used for supermicro h11dsi rev 2.0?

Feb 4, 2024
it depends on power distribution board, or breakout board.
(By itself it has only proprietary supermicro power plane port that connects to power distribution board or breakout board.)

Here's a page that sells combo breakout boards and psu's.

this would be top breakout board (on the page below is compatibility list)
1200W ServerPRO-1U-1200ADS 1U
Is this option suitable? The maximum load on the power supply will be 900 watts (the system will consume that much). Is it possible to improve the cooling of the power supply by installing a fan with a diameter of 60 mm instead of the standard 40 mm?

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
I can't say, this brand has not been certified. I don't know what real specs are, ~ if you want to increase cooling performance on such unit.
If you think they need additional cooling for that psu I would advise mounting additional 40mm fan outside the psu in pull mode. (just make sure the additional fan isn't pulling air from the contacts - so you get proper negative static pressure)
1715004490844.png
or if you feel lucky/safe you can try to replace existing fans with faster ones. (just make sure all caps have discharged, and you wear high-voltage gloves - it can kill you)

Feb 4, 2024
I can't say, this brand has not been certified. I don't know what real specs are, ~ if you want to increase cooling performance on such unit.
If you think they need additional cooling for that psu I would advise mounting additional 40mm fan outside the psu in pull mode. (just make sure the additional fan isn't pulling air from the contacts - so you get proper negative static pressure)
View attachment 36523
or if you feel lucky/safe you can try to replace existing fans with faster ones. (just make sure all caps have discharged, and you wear high-voltage gloves - it can kill you)
How much W load can the supermicro PDB withstand?
"not all supermicro PDBS" are suitable for Supermicro PWS-1K21P-1R?
Maybe it's better to buy "IBM BladeCenter DPS-2000BB" / "IBM BladeCenter DPS-1600BB", power the motherboard + ssd drive from "pico psu", the processor from the power supply.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
They are always designed to deliver exact amount of power there are outputs on the board.

As long as you can get proper breakout/distribution board you can pick whatever you prefer (from dell, supermicro, ibm/lenovo, hp) Just keep in mind it may not be as easy with as it seems with certain models like the ones you picked from IBM. Those IBM psu's are for bladecenter chassis they want 200-240V 12A @50-60Hz power input. If you picked them as you worry about cooling, don't those dell, supermicro ones have proper fans on them - and are quite loud.