T7810 Boot Issue

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

AaronTheProtagonist

Apr 26, 2024
Howdy y'all,
So I have been fighting with this for a while so I thought I would throw it out here and see if anyone has any ideas. I got a Dell Precision Workstation Tower 7810 from work that was going to be junked. I brought it home and upgraded the CPUs from 2x E5-2603 v3 to 2x E5-2695 v4 that went fine. But I also decided to upgrade the ram from 4x 4GB (MTA9ASF51272PZ) sticks to 4x 16GB (MTA36ASF2G72PZ) sticks. However when I attempt to boot with the 4x 16GB sticks I get no display, no amber LED, but no display out. I have tried a different GPU, I have tried just 1 stick for each CPU in each slot and no luck. I have also tried another 4x 16GB kit (HMA42GR7AFR4N), that did not work either. I can boot just fine if I go back to the 4GB sticks. I am at a bit of a lose on what to do, any thoughts would be great!

USER189364

Jul 17, 2020
So, I have had Both the precision 7610 and the 7910, and a T5820, and they all have a unique precheck when hardware has changed. The machine will start with amber LED, then sense the hardware, then seemingly shutdown. After a few moments, it will boot and do it again.

I believe this is dells hardware systems inventory check, for their built in component failure warning feature.

Have you tried to just leave it? Let it go through its sequence, and give it a few minutes. The longest I have had it take is about 4 minutes, because I replaced every stick of ram in a machine and it rebooted for every stick I had installed.

AaronTheProtagonist

Apr 26, 2024
So, I have had Both the precision 7610 and the 7910, and a T5820, and they all have a unique precheck when hardware has changed. The machine will start with amber LED, then sense the hardware, then seemingly shutdown. After a few moments, it will boot and do it again.

I believe this is dells hardware systems inventory check, for their built in component failure warning feature.

Have you tried to just leave it? Let it go through its sequence, and give it a few minutes. The longest I have had it take is about 4 minutes, because I replaced every stick of ram in a machine and it rebooted for every stick I had installed.
I left it for a good 15 minutes with 4 sticks or with just 2. I can try and let it sit for longer, but I've not seen a boot longer than that.

AaronTheProtagonist

Apr 26, 2024
I left it for a good 15 minutes with 4 sticks or with just 2. I can try and let it sit for longer, but I've not seen a boot longer than that.
Alright, so weird update. I did another CMOS reset and then got it to post with the 16GB modules. However, when I put a 16GB module in slot 2 CPU 2, then I get an amber light blinking 2,7 (Memory modules are detected, but a memory power failure has occurred). If I put a 4GB module in slot 2 CPU 2 then it will post. If I put all 4 16GB sticks in CPU1 then I also get a post with all sticks recognized. If I put a 5th stick in CPU 2 slot 1 then I just get a solid white light with no post.
It also appears that I get a boot if I populate CPU 2 slots 1,3,4. But I get that amber 2,7 when trying to boot with one in CPU 2 slot 2
If I add another stick to CPU 1, then I get a solid white light, no display.

So maybe an issue with CPU 2 Channel 2?