Supermicro 826 chassis variants?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
I have 3x 826BE1C-R920LPB in my rack. About a year ago, I bought what was listed as a "CSE-826" chassis from eBay. I have mostly used it for testing, but am finally going to rack it in place permanently. I wanted to add a rear 2.5" drive bay carrier like MCP-220-82609-0N (which my existing chassis have) or MCP-220-82616-0N (the newer version), but there is no cutout on the rear panel to allow the carrier to be installed.

All of the current 826 chassis have the cutout, and I can't find any other 2U chassis that are similar to the 826 but without the cutout.

Did Supermicro ever make a variant of the 826 without the cutout, or was it a different base SKU? In either case, are there parts to replace the back panel (it looks like it is screwed in) so that a drive carrier can be added?

mattventura

Nov 9, 2022
The 'B' variants (826B) have the cutout. Some of the older variants did not have it.

As for other variants, the part after the B (or lack thereof) is the front backplane type. After the hyphen is the PSU (e.g. R920W = 920W redundant). The last part is the expansion slot arrangement - LPB is the low profile, while WB is WIO.

There's also the newer line, branded the LA26, which seems to be roughly equivalent to 826B.

As for converting, you can try this.