SSD Review Request: Consolidated idle / load power chart

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Oarman

Feb 28, 2021
It seems a frequent request is some variant of "what M.2 stick can I put in this box to use the least power." Or, alternately "which SSD offers the most performance per watt".

The current reviews don't measure drive wattage directly, and I understand (especially for loaded measurements) this is a complicated thing to get. Some drives report wattage that can be picked up in software utilities (at unknown precision) or you could just measure a reference drive in a reference system (at idle and load) and baseline off that.

It may come in handy to have a consolidated chart comparing models, similar to say the CrystalDiskMark charts. If you wanted to indicate performance per watt, the simplest approach would just be to split up SATA / Gen3 / Gen4 etc and only plot against drives of the same type. You could do show some performance metric vs power in a more complicated manner using an XY plot, but that may be hard to interpret.

The reviews do have idle/load temperatures which are fairly analog to power use. However, each review presents this data just for the one drive under review. Since this data is already collected in chart-able form it should be reasonably easy to present as a comparison. It's not clear how controlled the test environment temperature is but I suspect normal computer-room-temp variation is small enough to not matter for rough comparison.

Different drive densities (i.e. comparing a 256GB drive of one model to a 2TB drive of another) are going to move this data around, but I think that's still useful data.