Small frame/box for Norco 5 x 3 HDD Cage

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

kroem

Aug 16, 2014
Oh. Damn I need those caddies, shipping is 5x the price of the cage though... :(

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
Looks good. What is the intended use case? Just like an external JBOD towrr?
That's what I will use these for. Run two 8087 cables out of my M1015 to an 8087 -> 8088 adapter in my computer case. Then run 8088 -> 8087 cables to these carriers. I just bought two of the Norco units a second ago. It's tough to beat buy one get one free for $14.99.

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
I'll probably just run one of my modular molex cables out of an empty PCI slot from my case to a 4 way splitter unless someone else has a better idea. I don't know of anything for power that works like the 8087 -> 8088 adapters do for SAS/SATA connections.

MatrixMJK

Aug 21, 2014
For power, I have a few of these power supplies... AntecPS at Dailysteals
DailySteals

I think they were posted in these forums a couple months ago and I bought 4 at $10 each, now they are $8 with free shipping.

They are nice for drives since they don't have 20/24 pin motherboard connectors, and a real power switch so you don't have to do the jumper trick to turn them on.

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
For power, I have a few of these power supplies... AntecPS at Dailysteals
DailySteals

I think they were posted in these forums a couple months ago and I bought 4 at $10 each, now they are $8 with free shipping.

They are nice for drives since they don't have 20/24 pin motherboard connectors, and a real power switch so you don't have to do the jumper trick to turn them on.
Yeah, this PSU is an AWESOME deal and seems perfectly suited for this application! Thanks for sharing. This could easily end up being the cheapest JBOD setup ever.

Spotswood, it would be nice to have a way to mount a PCI adapter for an 8088 -> 8087 adapter like this in the case as an option. This would allow for a very clean traditional JBOD case setup.

Spotswood

Yeah, this PSU is an AWESOME deal and seems perfectly suited for this application! Thanks for sharing. This could easily end up being the cheapest JBOD setup ever.

Spotswood, it would be nice to have a way to mount a PCI adapter for an 8088 -> 8087 adapter like this in the case as an option. This would allow for a very clean traditional JBOD case setup.
That adapter could be mounted almost anywhere inside the case (remove the PCI bracket; using the board's mounting holes and some spacers/standoffs). But, what about there being (not) enough room for all of the cables?

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
That adapter could be mounted almost anywhere inside the case (remove the PCI bracket; using the board's mounting holes and some spacers/standoffs). But, what about there being (not) enough room for all of the cables?
That could be a problem, but a 8087 to SATA breakout cable isn't super massive either :) It's hard to tell how much space is behind the Norco bays.