Rudde's Build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rudde

Mar 10, 2011
Pro/1000 PT Dual

And as fast as I get my refund from newegg I order HDD, and RAM from newegg.

and after I get to order the chassis I will order the rest of the parts, and the rest of the HDD's when I move back to Norway :)

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Ah Norway! You guys have huge taxes on stuff there. I had a friend that would buy tons of stuff whenever he came to visit because the price differential was like 50% post-tax.

nilsga

Mar 8, 2011
Except processors. They are about the same price. Then again, we have very solid laws protecting us as buyers. Having to pay extra for guarantee is unheard of... We have basically 3-5 years of guarantee on every purchase, no matter what.

Rudde

Mar 10, 2011
Hello, I'm also looking at a gigabit switch, I will buy a managed later on but right now I only need one to build my home network.

SO I have been looking at D-Link DGS-1024D and Cisco SR2016T-NA the D-link looks nice, since its cheaper and I get 24 ports instead of 16 but I have so bad experience with gigabit networking and cheap equipment, who barely deliver more then fast ethernet. And since I don't know much of D-link I have only heard much bad of their home class equipment so I have no idea how their business class equipment work.

I hope someone have any experience with any of them :)

o_O I also found D-LINK DGS-1210-24 really cheap in Norway, which probably is easiest.

Yes and I really feel like using 120-125 MB/s

Is it possible to set they up so they use multiplier up-links?

Last edited:

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
That is such a waste of money for unmanaged switches.

You can get a web managed Dell 2724 for less than $100. I have a 2724 at my house and a 2716 at my parents vacation home. Odditory recently bought one so maybe he will chime in with his experience. Also look at the HP 1810-24 its a web Managed switch IIRC and it goes for around $150 and is highly recommended on other sites i frequent.

If you were willing to spend a little bit more then you could grab a Dell 5324 Managed switch off ebay for $200.

jbraband

Feb 23, 2011
I just won a Dell 2724 yesterday on ebay for $81 (+15 for shipping, but we live 20 minutes from each other so free pickup!) I doubt you could get free pickup for an ebay auction in norway, but i can attest that they are affordable. plus its a production pull from a business that went under and i'm fairly confident that i'm not being lied to :)

-j

Rudde

Mar 10, 2011
I'm looking at this RAID kontroller and it said, it only support 64KB stripes, is this going to be a problem when ZFS is a 128k filesystem (I really don't know what any of these mean)

And I'm still kinda considering Supermicro X8DTH-6F because it only cost me 200 dollar more, it gives me SAS-2 and I get a great opportunity to upgrade my system.

Last edited:

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Which RAID controller? Shouldnt matter anyways cause you are not putting the drives in RAID...at least you shouldnt be.

You dont need a RAID controller BTW. There is no point in paying a high price for a RAID controller when something like a BR10i will suffice.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Ok well if you put in IT mode then you are not creating a RAID, and thus not using its striping capabilities.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
No its not a problem. Most SATA controllers dont have cache memory either.

Its only for performance. Which wont matter with ZFS because its going to be using your system memory for that.

Rudde

Mar 10, 2011
It's here! :D

I'll order the rest of the parts in the beginning of May, since my host-family is out of the country I'll don't have anyone to open the door for the UPS guy :(

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Awesome! Congratulations. Keep us posted on the build.

Rudde

Mar 10, 2011
Hello again, I'm ready to order the rest of the parts and then someone tells me that if I have the Supermicro X8DTH-6F with two CPU's it won't increase performance, it will only be a redundant CPU is this true? And if not/if, can I get some sources on it?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Hello again, I'm ready to order the rest of the parts and then someone tells me that if I have the Supermicro X8DTH-6F with two CPU's it won't increase performance, it will only be a redundant CPU is this true? And if not/if, can I get some sources on it?
The only way you do not get extra performance in that setup with a second CPU is if you do not use applications that can take advantage of the extra threads. The second CPU is not simply a redundant CPU. You can see the second CPU scaling on that motherboard in the dual Xeon X5670 review for example. That review also points out that things like Handbrake x264 encoding and the Windows Experience Index scores do not scale with extra threads/ cores after a point.