Review Request: HP Flex IO 10Gbit module

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

reasonsandreasons

May 16, 2022
It's not cheap, but the previous option for getting 10G into one of those units was a pricey and difficult-to-obtain Thunderbolt 3 FlexIO card and a $150-and-up Thunderbolt NIC.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Ordered. Longer delivery time though and out of stock everywhere.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Just arrived. Bryan and I will work on this Friday when we do the Elite Mini 800 piece.

Navy_BOFH

Aug 2, 2013
JUST as I bought 3x of the 2.5G FlexIO modules... I see this. However, I am setting up a trio of EliteDesk Mini 800 G6's as you've previously reviewed. I wonder if this will work in the G6 as well or I just need to patiently wait for G9's to become surplus.

ajwhitney

Jun 18, 2023
To close the loop on this, the 10gbps FlexIO module 56Q71AA works fine in an HP EliteDesk Mini G6 (10700T 35W model). I was also wondering whether it would work and I couldn't find anything definitive online so I bit the bullet and bought one in the hopes that it would work. It was an easy fit as one would expect. It came with extra long screws as it has a heatsink that the screws need to reach through. I'm getting full 10gbps speeds and the cooling system in the unit seems to handle whatever extra heat load there is without spinning up the fans more than with the USB module that this replaced. I run Proxmox (7.4) on that box and the adapter was recognized without any fuss. The 2.5gbps module is clearly the better value (~$25) but if you need/want 10gbps and are willing to spend the extra (the one I found was ~$135) then I can recommend it for a G6.

Navy_BOFH

Aug 2, 2013
To close the loop on this, the 10gbps FlexIO module 56Q71AA works fine in an HP EliteDesk Mini G6 (10700T 35W model). I was also wondering whether it would work and I couldn't find anything definitive online so I bit the bullet and bought one in the hopes that it would work. It was an easy fit as one would expect. It came with extra long screws as it has a heatsink that the screws need to reach through. I'm getting full 10gbps speeds and the cooling system in the unit seems to handle whatever extra heat load there is without spinning up the fans more than with the USB module that this replaced. I run Proxmox (7.4) on that box and the adapter was recognized without any fuss. The 2.5gbps module is clearly the better value (~$25) but if you need/want 10gbps and are willing to spend the extra (the one I found was ~$135) then I can recommend it for a G6.
Found the same on my 10500T that I just listed for sale here.
Module now lives in my Z2 Mini G5 that has Proxmox 7.4 as well - this just rekindled my love for HP gear again, even if its a slightly abusive relationship!

legit

Dec 24, 2021
I’m having trouble with this in my Elitedesk 800 G6 SFF. The receptacle on the motherboard has one socket (which previously came with a DisplayPort adapter) while the 10gb card has two connectors. It seems to not be able to mate correctly on my board. Does everyone else have the two ports?

Edit: looks like it's not compatible with an SFF form factor that only has one port (of the two required for this type of Flex IO v2 module). Looks like I'll have to give up a PCIE slot for 10gb and find another device to use this module with.

Last edited:

John T Davis

Nov 19, 2022
What's the operating temperature range on these?

I installed it in an HP EliteMini G9 600 running Proxmox 8.2, where it idled at 46 C without being attached to a VMBR.
Once attached to a VMBR, it took about two minutes to climb up to 68 C and sit there, and as I type this, it's trying very hard to get to 69-70 C.

I'm not hearing the fan speed change at all, and ACQ NIC spec sheets are confusing.
(See page 21.)

If I'm reading this right, I'm fine (scroll down to the Flex IO 10 Gbps NIC):
Operating Temperature 32° to 226° F (0° to 108° C)

bribau

May 11, 2024
I'm havinging some issues with the 10gbase-t adapter 56Q71AA not allowing me to boot and would like to know if anyone else has had this problem:

I have two of the 56Q71AA and they work great in my 800 G6 machinees. I have a pair of 800 G9 machines where the adapter worked for the first few boots, but at some point it will trigger a DMA Protection warning and refuse to boot even to BIOS unless I unplug the network cable from the 56Q71AA or remove the adapter completely. I disabled DMA Protection and still couldn't boot with the adapter installed. Both adapters still work fine in my G6 but not the G9s.

HP support was not helpful and instructed me to return the machines to the point of purchase (in my case that's eBay), even though one is still under warranty.

One machine I updated BIOS to the latest (2.13.0 if I'm remembering), and the other is unfortunately locked so I can't examine the settings.

It's not a total waste since I could use them in my G6 machines, but I purchased them for my G9 machines.

Reactions: John T Davis

louie1961

May 15, 2023
I'm having some issues with the 10gbase-t adapter 56Q71AA not allowing me to boot and would like to know if anyone else has had this problem
Must be a windows issue. I have one of these adapters in my 800 G9 machine running Proxmox and it works fine. I know that's not a lot of help but at least you know where to look I guess.

John T Davis

Nov 19, 2022
I'm havinging some issues with the 10gbase-t adapter 56Q71AA not allowing me to boot and would like to know if anyone else has had this problem:

I have two of the 56Q71AA and they work great in my 800 G6 machinees. I have a pair of 800 G9 machines where the adapter worked for the first few boots, but at some point it will trigger a DMA Protection warning and refuse to boot even to BIOS unless I unplug the network cable from the 56Q71AA or remove the adapter completely. I disabled DMA Protection and still couldn't boot with the adapter installed. Both adapters still work fine in my G6 but not the G9s.

HP support was not helpful and instructed me to return the machines to the point of purchase (in my case that's eBay), even though one is still under warranty.

One machine I updated BIOS to the latest (2.13.0 if I'm remembering), and the other is unfortunately locked so I can't examine the settings.

It's not a total waste since I could use them in my G6 machines, but I purchased them for my G9 machines.
My G9 did the same thing. This is expected behavior. There's nothing wrong with your adapter. :) This is just not well documented, and for some reason HP's own official adapter triggers the default DMA protection. It's bizarre.

The DMA protection will only trigger when an RJ-45 cable is plugged in on boot. Get into the BIOS, go to either Advanced or Security (I can't remember exactly where it is), and look for the DMA Protection feature.
Either disable it or set it to Thunderbolt only.

I need to get into my BIOS this weekend. I'll figure out exactly where the setting is and pop back here and update the thread.

Reactions: bribau

bribau

May 11, 2024
My G9 did the same thing. This is expected behavior. There's nothing wrong with your adapter. :) This is just not well documented, and for some reason HP's own official adapter triggers the default DMA protection. It's bizarre.

The DMA protection will only trigger when an RJ-45 cable is plugged in on boot. Get into the BIOS, go to either Advanced or Security (I can't remember exactly where it is), and look for the DMA Protection feature.
Either disable it or set it to Thunderbolt only.
Thanks for letting me know it's not just me.

I thought I had tried disabling the DMA and ended up just getting a black screen, but I was getting impatient at that point. I'll give it another go later today.