Recommendation for a good and fast iSCSI switch

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nemomaximus

Dec 10, 2021
I need a high performance iSCSI switch of good quality to connect my SAN to my virtualisation servers. Reliability is key here, it must perform good for years and run well in a HA setup.

Any recommendation?

Would something like CRS518-16XS-2XQ-RM work? It is very cheap compared to fiber channel switches that we use today but want to replace with iSCSI...

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
"High availability" with a single switch? This screams for me single point of failure...
How many ports?
What speed?
Estimated lifetime/you want to keep it around?
New? Or used?
Budget?

Without more information everybody will just guess and the answers won't help you or anybody else coming via google to this thread ._.
Eg: Juniper QFX5240-64QD, 64x 800GBE ports. List price of a quarter million $...

nemomaximus

Dec 10, 2021
Sorry, I was a bit short in my description...

Of course we will need 2 switches of whatever we choose, the important thing is that it works good in such configuration....

I need between 16-24 ports, at least 25 GBE...

We usually keep switches for as long as we can get a good price on the support contracts, which means 5-7 years... And we always buy them new since we keep them for a long time...

I just got quoted around 10000 USD/each for fiber channel from Dell, don't feel like paying that, but if that is the price range for what I want, then I will have to go with that...

nemomaximus

Dec 10, 2021
Been looking at used switches over the weekend and I realize there are huge savings to be made going that route :)

Any recommendation in that area?

What should I think about buying used switches?

Is it possible to get updates without a support agreement?

ano

Nov 7, 2022
arista or mellanox should be nice (check if later has os)

dell with OS10 is also quite ok, but kinda hard to know you get perpetual, and support reinstatements can be iffy

dandanio

Oct 10, 2017
Whoa, a corporate world meets budget constrains. I've been in your shoes before, so I would recommend you @nemomaximus find a VAR which can package those Mikrotik's jewels in a nice package with a support agreement, remote assistance what whatever you might need and I think you still will save about 50-60% while checking off most (if not all) checkboxes.

nemomaximus

Dec 10, 2021
Thanks! Ended up buying used Dell S5248F-ON with OS10. We have in-house experience with their switches... Buying 3 of them for less then half the price compared to purchasing one new.

Reactions: SnJ9MX