Miscellaneous rack security items and addons?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Just wondering if anyone out there knows of any cool add ons or items/equipment that can basically be used for any server rack to secure equipment against tampering or theft. A fully enclosed cabinet is out of the question for me I think but I want to be able to secure in other ways where possible if not as effective as a completely locking/closing door.

For example I know that there exists perforated or solid plexi security panels that go over the front of equipment with "security" bolts. And you could also buy true security bolts say from Bryce Fastener with head patterns that aren't available anywhere else. But is there anything else out there that might be obscure that you guys know about?

Also, any cool hacks to secure a bolt from behind with a nut or something of that nature?

Last edited:

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
If you're that concerned why even bother putting equipment there?

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
Just wondering if anyone out there knows of any cool add ons or items/equipment that can basically be used for any server rack to secure equipment against tampering or theft. A fully enclosed cabinet is out of the question for me I think but I want to be able to secure in other ways where possible if not as effective as a completely locking/closing door.

For example I know that there exists perforated or solid plexi security panels that go over the front of equipment with "security" bolts. And you could also buy true security bolts say from Bryce Fastener with head patterns that aren't available anywhere else. But is there anything else out there that might be obscure that you guys know about?

Also, any cool hacks to secure a bolt from behind with a nut or something of that nature?
I've not found any on sale but when I worked for the Govt there was a roller door like you get on shop fronts or garages that made it very difficult to open once locked.

At a compute level, there are lockable caddies to make it harder to steal the hard drives.

Finally, you could look for a steel cage to put over the rack. You can pick up something reasonably cheap if you don't mind a bit of rust :)

Other than that you could put a camera there of course - maybe use a 360 one. That will detect tampering and potentially deter theft.

Reactions: frogtech

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
If you're that concerned why even bother putting equipment there?
Can't speak for the OP but I'm going through the same thought process. I'm moving house, I don't really want to put my main servers in a spare room like I do at the moment (to keep the wife happy) but the garage is too "exposed" for my liking without extra protection.

Reactions: frogtech and Tha_14

TeeJayHoward

Feb 12, 2013
A cheap steel cage and a couple of concrete anchors could probably secure a full rack for around a hundred bucks. More if you're not handy with a welder or a drill.