Minisforum MS-01

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

HansBKK

Apr 23, 2024
Reckon a QNAP QXP-1600eS-A1164 might work to feed 2x TL-D800S to get 16 identical 3.5" drives, and for better "portability", maybe rotation offsite.

Apparently a Proxmox host can do pass-through to TrueNAS-Scale running in a VM.

When not using the NAS part (I only need it for backups) can easily take the MS-01 away from that location, use it for other duties

Hukai

May 4, 2024
I have proxmox running on a MS-01 for about a week now with no issues. All four network ports are working. This morning I tried to install a P1000 in the MS-01, and network ports are active until ProxMox boots. Then both the 2.5G ports will stop blinking and go dark. Proxmox boots. But can't manage it because one of the 2.5 gb ports I am using for management of Proxmox. Has anyone seen this? The moment I power down and remove the P1000 and boot back up. Both those NIC's are active and I can access Proxmox.

tnabank

May 2, 2024
Model: MS-01-12900H 0/0 opted for barebone

I have the following questions:
  1. Can I install windows 7 if yes how do I set legacy booting in bios.
  2. Is there bios documentation
  3. I installed Crucial RAM 32GB Kit (2x16GB) DDR5 5600MHz (CT2K16G56C46S5) but the bios reports 4800MHz - why
fastest response by twitter:
MINISFORUM Official
@Hi_MINISFORUM
I'm sorry, but the MS-01 does not support Windows 7.
Regarding the RAM frequency, the Intel 12900H chipset only supports a maximum RAM speed of 4800MHz.
As for BIOS documentation, you can find more information in the user manual or on our website.

Last edited:

VinceDucat

May 7, 2024
Hell i'm using Ms-01 for proxmox and try to put in place a "Router" in VM fork of openwrt. but at this time im very desappointed.

i266v have stange perf event in virtio or passtrought and x710 with sfp (rj45) seem to be no much more...

is anyone have openwrt ou pfsense working with those nic at 2.5Gb/s ? it could help me

for the moment all my try was an nightmare ...

JamfSlayer

May 10, 2024
Wow, what a wonderful little machine, to say the least! This is an absolutely fantastic little home virtualization server. It may be overkill for some, but not me. I will max it out, in fact, I am willing to test different things to get this NVMe speed on this 990 pro closer to where it should be. It's not even in the ballpark where it should be - 1778MB/s read, 467MB/s write on sequential SEQ1M Q8T1 test on Crystal. I haven't loaded any RST or chipset drivers or anything yet, only what Windows Update has auto-detected. In fact, Windows Server 2022 doesn't pick up those i226 2.5G NICs by default, and I may not even load those drivers, since I'm only using the dual SFP+.

Edit 1: I came back to edit my post after spending a little time with some tools. CrystalInfo shows that M.2 drive only at PCIe 3.0 x2, which is terribly slow, and explains that slow write speed, but it's getting 1.7GB/s read.. That's about 1/5 the read speed, and it's getting only about 8% of the write speed that it should. The drive is plugged into the 3rd NVME slot, closest to the WiFi 6E adapter, so I'm wondering if that's a slow slot. I will experiment a little bit with it to see if I can get better results. The documentation is minimal on this subject, but I'm expecting it'll grow over time. Would be nice to see a mapping of what each of those slots is capable of, as most other motherboard mfgs do with their tech docs.

Edit 2: I hope you don't mind if I keep editing this same post. I am now getting 6900MB/s read, but only 462MB/s write, still, however, it's a Samsung 990Pro and there are all kinds of people talking about slow write speed, wonder if I'm plagued by that? Patrick, any insight on the 990 Pro and slow write speeds in your realm?

Edit 3: Disabled everything in the UEFI/BIOS that was not needed, including the 226 NICs, one is an LM, the other appears to be a V.. Don' t need them, using the X710 SFP+ only, and now getting 7000MB/s read, 6735MB/s write (much, much better). No need to install RST or anything, in fact, DO NOT. Remember, my tests are within Windows, so, haven't gotten Linux results yet. I may pick up a second, and do some additional testing.

1715360420600.png1715360677421.png
1715367959731.png

Well, I found the supporting docs. Only the scary slot is the fast slot. By scary, I mean... MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHERE THAT SWITCH IS!

M.2 2280 NVMe SSD slot (Alt U.2) (PCIe 4.0 x4) x1

M.2 2280/22110 NVMe SSD slot (PCIe 3.0 x4) x1

M.2 2280/22110 NVMe SSD slot (PCIe 3.0 x2) x1

Attachments

Last edited:

JamfSlayer

May 10, 2024
Wow, what a wonderful little machine, to say the least! This is an absolutely fantastic little home virtualization server. It may be overkill for some, but not me. I will max it out, in fact, I am willing to test different things to get this NVMe speed on this 990 pro closer to where it should be. It's not even in the ballpark where it should be - 1778MB/s read, 467MB/s write on sequential SEQ1M Q8T1 test on Crystal. I haven't loaded any RST or chipset drivers or anything yet, only what Windows Update has auto-detected. In fact, Windows Server 2022 doesn't pick up those i226 2.5G NICs by default, and I may not even load those drivers, since I'm only using the dual SFP+.

Edit 1: I came back to edit my post after spending a little time with some tools. CrystalInfo shows that M.2 drive only at PCIe 3.0 x2, which is terribly slow, and explains that slow write speed, but it's getting 1.7GB/s read.. That's about 1/5 the read speed, and it's getting only about 8% of the write speed that it should. The drive is plugged into the 3rd NVME slot, closest to the WiFi 6E adapter, so I'm wondering if that's a slow slot. I will experiment a little bit with it to see if I can get better results. The documentation is minimal on this subject, but I'm expecting it'll grow over time. Would be nice to see a mapping of what each of those slots is capable of, as most other motherboard mfgs do with their tech docs.

Edit 2: I hope you don't mind if I keep editing this same post. I am now getting 6900MB/s read, but only 462MB/s write, still, however, it's a Samsung 990Pro and there are all kinds of people talking about slow write speed, wonder if I'm plagued by that? Patrick, any insight on the 990 Pro and slow write speeds in your realm?

Edit 3: Disabled everything in the UEFI/BIOS that was not needed, including the 226 NICs, one is an LM, the other appears to be a V.. Don' t need them, using the X710 SFP+ only, and now getting 7000MB/s read, 6735MB/s write (much, much better). No need to install RST or anything, in fact, DO NOT. Remember, my tests are within Windows, so, haven't gotten Linux results yet. I may pick up a second, and do some additional testing.

View attachment 36602View attachment 36603
View attachment 36606

Well, I found the supporting docs. Only the scary slot is the fast slot. By scary, I mean... MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHERE THAT SWITCH IS!

M.2 2280 NVMe SSD slot (Alt U.2) (PCIe 4.0 x4) x1

M.2 2280/22110 NVMe SSD slot (PCIe 3.0 x4) x1

M.2 2280/22110 NVMe SSD slot (PCIe 3.0 x2) x1

Ok, so after this last reboot after installing a few things, updates, etc, I am back at 7000M read, and 460MB write, that seems weird. This is dicey for sure.
1715611659241.png

tnabank

May 2, 2024
What kind of speed you get at slots:
  1. M.2 2280/22110 NVMe SSD slot (PCIe 3.0 x4) x1
  2. M.2 2280/22110 NVMe SSD slot (PCIe 3.0 x2) x1

JamfSlayer

May 10, 2024
What kind of speed you get at slots:
  1. M.2 2280/22110 NVMe SSD slot (PCIe 3.0 x4) x1
  2. M.2 2280/22110 NVMe SSD slot (PCIe 3.0 x2) x1
In the 3rd slot closest to the wifi adapter, I get 1700MB/s read and 462MB/s write. Didn't test the middle slot, but it appears every other reboot or so, I get full write speed of 6800. This is a weird one.

tnabank

May 2, 2024
that's strange, as soon as I have my 2 nvme samsung 2tb 990 PRO i will test its speeds, wat did you disable in the bios, i have bios verssion 1.17 saw on this board a link to bios MS-01-AHWSA-BIOS-V1.22 not tried it yet as i am a windows 7 person tried to install w7 but each time failed.
Asked minisforum for a bios link information.

are you using blackviper.com (o wait he stopped doing that)information regarding services disabeling

JamfSlayer

May 10, 2024
that's strange, as soon as I have my 2 nvme samsung 2tb 990 PRO i will test its speeds, wat did you disable in the bios, i have bios verssion 1.17 saw on this board a link to bios MS-01-AHWSA-BIOS-V1.22 not tried it yet as i am a windows 7 person tried to install w7 but each time failed.
Asked minisforum for a bios link information.

are you using blackviper.com (o wait he stopped doing that)information regarding services disabeling
I disabled the 2.5G NICs, since I'm only using the x710 with SFP+ modules, I also turned off the sound card, wifi, and a couple other devices that I knew I'd never use, just to keep the usage and footprint minimal, to not have to install the drivers. I'm guessing you'll get full PCIE 3 x4 speeds on that middle slot, of 3400/3400 most likely, and the x2 slot, you'll get 1700/1700, unless something weird, and you'll get 462M write in all 3 slots, randomly. I'm wondering why the random 6800/write on some reboots happens, and on others, 462. This makes no sense, and there are reddit posts all over about how bad the 990 is at writes, but none of them are 462 bad, I mean it's like something is defaulting that write channel to SATA speeds, but I'd expect 550M, but 462 probably because of some emulation happening. I'm a betting man, and I'm betting it's something to do with that... I'm also running bios 1.22, which the machine came shipped with. I didn't have to install the bios, which is at this location here:

jefferyrdavis

Apr 29, 2024
I'm hoping someone can help me. I just bought this card: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M9GRAUM?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
and put it in my MS-01. It shows up and appears to be working from the command line (Proxmox). But as soon as it's in, I lose all network connectivity. I tried a different card (9207-8e) and exactly the same thing happened. No card and the network is fine, card in the PCI slot, no networking. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. I'm pretty new to this and I'm not sure where to start.