Minisforum MS-01 PCIe Card and RAM Compatibility Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BlueChris

Jul 18, 2021
Athens-Greece
Guys a question.. anyone managed to update the firmware on the x710 intel card? and if yes how he did it? i ask because i have small troubles with the sriov and maybe its the firmware version or the proxmox driver....

thx

thekobk

Mar 2, 2024
1.22 is the beta bios they were working on with me. One thing I know it was for was m.2 compatibility issues. They still haven't fixed my issue but I'm hopeful.

NocelCrown

Mar 12, 2024
For those looking for a rack mount for the MS-01, I just received an email from Winther3D that they're making one of their injected molded panels for it.

I'm planning on ordering one as soon as they're available.

GreenAvacado

Sep 25, 2022
1.22 is the beta bios they were working on with me. One thing I know it was for was m.2 compatibility issues. They still haven't fixed my issue but I'm hopeful.
That's kind of unusual. Why would release and install beta BIOS on production device? Without changelog I'm kind of hesitant to install, newer does not necessarily mean better.

GreenAvacado

Sep 25, 2022
For those looking for a rack mount for the MS-01, I just received an email from Winther3D that they're making one of their injected molded panels for it.

I'm planning on ordering one as soon as they're available.
Sounds interesting. Do you have pictures by any change? These are 1U, I assume?

BlueChris

Jul 18, 2021
Athens-Greece
That's kind of unusual. Why would release and install beta BIOS on production device? Without changelog I'm kind of hesitant to install, newer does not necessarily mean better.
I got a reply of them saying that "This is the most original version of BIOS, and nothing has been modified."
if that is the case, what is the point of a new bios? i replied accordingly and i will reply here if i get a new response.
Either way i dont pass it in my MS-01 of course.

sfre

Apr 23, 2024
Thinking about using mirrored WD Red SN700 2TB acting as ZFS SLOG. Anyone tried this WD in the MS-01 by any chance?

rmccas

Feb 11, 2024
Hi All,

so im planning to get 3 of these units to build a vmware cluster vsan based and do some testing. unfortunately, the 48GB DIMMS seems to be a price increase and is very expensive at the moment, so I'm going to use 64GB per node.

Can i ask for some confirmed memory that works without issue on the MS01? the only ones I got at the moment are the ones mentioned in serve the home review:
Crucial CT2K32G52C42S5

Thanks
RS

binboum

Apr 22, 2020
Hi All,

so im planning to get 3 of these units to build a vmware cluster vsan based and do some testing. unfortunately, the 48GB DIMMS seems to be a price increase and is very expensive at the moment, so I'm going to use 64GB per node.

Can i ask for some confirmed memory that works without issue on the MS01? the only ones I got at the moment are the ones mentioned in serve the home review:
Crucial CT2K32G52C42S5

Thanks
RS
You can also use : CT48G56C46S5

qbaskas

Apr 15, 2024
I'm having problems with this one, driving me a bit nuts. The SFF-8088 card included with the TL-D400s – a qxp-400es-a1164 – is not recognized in the MS-01. The card is good, shows up fine in my desktop (tried in windows, ubuntu and unraid) but the minisforum does not see it.

I tried a network card to check if the PCIe slot was perhaps bad in the MS-01: it's not, the NIC shows up fine.

Before I send back the QNAP, is there anything obvious I'm missing? Any advice appreciated!
Hey @dvdplm, I have exactly the same issue with the same hardware. When you move back in this thread you can find the advice to tape few pins in the pcie card. I tried almost everything, disabling other pcie ports, removing disks, tapeing every combination of pins, but it still doesn't work. If you find a solution please post it here. Today I flashed bios hoping it will help but no, it didn't.
I'm waiting for newer bios, this is only hope.
Btw, this is my second MS-01, I sent back the first one because of this issue, I thought I got broken unit.
Stay in touch, I hope they will finally fix it.

Reactions: dvdplm

javimaruso

Feb 28, 2024
Hi All,

Crucial CT2K32G52C42S5

Thanks
RS
Im using kingston Fury 64G kit KF556S40IBK2 and running without problems.
It was much cheaper than crucial with better timings

johnknierim

Aug 1, 2022
Hi All,

Crucial CT2K32G52C42S5

Thanks
RS
The 2 X 48 GB Kit was $315 in late March, at least at Amazon. The price has actually come down

h0schi

Oct 24, 2020
Germany
Thinking about using mirrored WD Red SN700 2TB acting as ZFS SLOG. Anyone tried this WD in the MS-01 by any chance?
I used two WD Red SN700 500GB (ZFS Stripe) on proxmox at the moment.
No problems for now.

Last edited:
Reactions: sfre

Pikeman1868

May 9, 2024
Has anyone tested Sparkle A310 Eco with MS-01? I just received mine, but I'm still waiting for MS-01 to arrive (ordered an early bird...). It seems to be the only Intel ARC card which will fit in MS-01. It's probably comparable to iGPU in 13900H, but I want to have two GPUs so one can be passed through to specific VM all the time and second to be available for other VMs when needed.
Did you ever get this to work? I’ve connected my Sparkle a310 in and it never posts. MS01 boots fine without the gpu installed

bobbysteel

Nov 20, 2022
I got a reply of them saying that "This is the most original version of BIOS, and nothing has been modified."
if that is the case, what is the point of a new bios? i replied accordingly and i will reply here if i get a new response.
Either way i dont pass it in my MS-01 of course.
The site now has two versions. 17 and 22.

BlueChris

Jul 18, 2021
Athens-Greece
Did you ever get this to work? I’ve connected my Sparkle a310 in and it never posts. MS01 boots fine without the gpu installed
Did you tried with the latest firmware? its strange because GFX cards must be super compatible with the machine.
Better send an email to support of minisforum with details of your problem and see what they will reply.