Minisforum MS-01 PCIe Card and RAM Compatibility Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jdpdata

Jan 31, 2024
Oh joy! Just received notification from DHL that I have a package delivering on Monday 4/22. Must be my long waited 3rd MS-01 (pre-ordered Jan 30th). Minisforum coming thru with their promise and even gave me $30 credit for the long wait. Very happy camper here.

nirbo

Mar 4, 2024
My OSMETA EG01 Oculink eGPU arrived today!

Here are the results:

I gotta go to work! Stay tuned for the actual results.

mman3222

Apr 15, 2024
This is a much easier and better solution. You'll be able to run multiple VMs with iGPU support.
This won't work for me. I already have a Windows 11 VM created and configured with Plex installed. For now I have turned on Direct Play only. I would like to get iGPU working (if possible.) I have 1 user with slow Internet that lives in the woods. I guess if they can't watch my Plex, it's not the end of the world.

GreenAvacado

Sep 25, 2022
This won't work for me. I already have a Windows 11 VM created and configured with Plex installed. For now I have turned on Direct Play only. I would like to get iGPU working (if possible.) I have 1 user with slow Internet that lives in the woods. I guess if they can't watch my Plex, it's not the end of the world.
Not sure why you say it won't work. As a matter of fact it works wonderfully well for both Windows and Linux VM. Intel GPU drivers recognize the SR-IOV iGPU and can take advantage of QuickSync transcoding.

Feb 19, 2024
So here i was talking about my idea of addressing the problem regarding the heat issue... Well the idea came to life and I cannot wait to install it! :)

24-04-20 19-16-00 6554.jpg

24-04-20 19-17-46 6555.jpg

24-04-20 19-14-55 6553.jpg

24-04-21 03-16-17 6559.jpg

24-04-21 16-25-28 6560.jpg

EDITED:
So far I am seeing a massive temeperature drop on all nvme! I would say it was all worth is so far. Not to mention my wife is worried I found a new wife... I wonder who she was talking about LOL

Last edited:

Jarery

Mar 7, 2024
Proxmox Drive setup advice please

While waiting for my delivery, i have 2 nvme 2tb drives ready to install. I plan to mirror them into a single pool.

Question then is do i also put the promox operating system on there with the vm's ? or is it best to add a 3rd smaller nvme for the operating system ?

Lastly, my old truenas scale system has the operating system on an ssd attached to usb. Can this also be done with ms-01 and run the operating system from an ssd attached to the usb ports or does it need to be an internal drive ?

thekobk

Mar 2, 2024
If you want Plex or jellyfin with hardware exceleration this is the best and easiest way by far, also so much more like the Intel microcode is just a click away.

TechMinerUK

Apr 11, 2024
Woo, my units have now made it to shipping after a few days of questioning!

Just wondering (and apologies if this has been asked already) but does anyone know if this would fit an i350-T4? :)

dialbat

Feb 23, 2024
Hello everyone.
Question for those of you, who received your unit after MSFORUM's Chinese new year break.
Is it exactly same version as previously released?
Have they done any updates to latest release?
Newer BIOS maybe?

thank you all.

qbaskas

Apr 15, 2024
Try to put tape on the smbios pins in the card. Many cards needed this fix to play correctly. Minisforum is aware of the problem and they suggested this solution.
More info here
Thanks for your advice. I tested almost all options with tape, but no success. I taped pins as it was described in Wikipedia (from 5-9) and these from the photo from the example post. The strange thing I observed after the slot left marks on the tape, the slot pins don't fit to connectors on the card. I'll try more options with the tape, but I'd like to ask if any BIOS options should be set with this solution? I'm testing it under proxmox (lspci) and under live ubuntu (lspci).
Do you have any other thoughts/advice regarding this issue?

mman3222

Apr 15, 2024
Not sure why you say it won't work. As a matter of fact it works wonderfully well for both Windows and Linux VM. Intel GPU drivers recognize the SR-IOV iGPU and can take advantage of QuickSync transcoding.
Maybe I am confused...? When I got to the part in the article that says "Plex LXC Installation", is it installed Plex in a new VM? I want Plex to run within a Windows 11 VM that is already up and running and I want to keep Plex running in Windows.

thekobk

Mar 2, 2024
Maybe I am confused...? When I got to the part in the article that says "Plex LXC Installation", is it installed Plex in a new VM? I want Plex to run within a Windows 11 VM that is already up and running and I want to keep Plex running in Windows.
Lxc and VM are 2 different things. Passing video card to windows is a pain that requires you to use remote desktop and it won't support everything. Lxc has direct access to video hardware.

jdpdata

Jan 31, 2024
So here i was talking about my idea of addressing the problem regarding the heat issue... Well the idea came to life and I cannot wait to install it! :)

View attachment 36226

EDITED:
So far I am seeing a massive temeperature drop on all nvme! I would say it was all worth is so far. Not to mention my wife is worried I found a new wife... I wonder who she was talking about LOL

Looks awesome! You mind sharing your STL files? Do you have two side-by-side variant?

Reactions: BBQ9 and dialbat

thekobk

Mar 2, 2024
I had a modded Intel a380 in mine for Plex but after some testing I found the igpu is actually faster at encoding so it definitely wasn't worth the extra power draw for me.

Reactions: Fazio

jdpdata

Jan 31, 2024
Hello everyone.
Question for those of you, who received your unit after MSFORUM's Chinese new year break.
Is it exactly same version as previously released?
Have they done any updates to latest release?
Newer BIOS maybe?

thank you all.
I received my 3rd MS-01 today. Same exact BIOS as my two previously shipped units from a month ago.

ms264556

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
ms264556.net
Anyone using MS-01 with a GPU? If yes, which card?
There's a bunch of comments confirming various half-height NVIDIA and Intel cards working. Basically any single-slot half-height GPU which doesn't need extra power is likely to be OK.

I've personally tried a bunch of Quadro cards (P400, P600, P1000, T400, T1000) and they all worked just fine.

The case is pretty well laid out for graphics cards - there's a grill directly above the fan, and perforations in the front of the case. The CPU cooling is quite well isolated so that CPU temps don't have much effect on GPU temps and vice versa.