Just what @patrick needs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

NachoCDN

Apr 18, 2016
i think i'd have some explaining to do at home if i rolled into the garage with that in tow!

Reactions: Samir

Jaket

Jan 4, 2017
Seattle, New York
purevoltage.com
Problem with this (We looked to buy it) is the removal of the systems 3 days to get everything out of there would cost a huge amount of money. Plus it has some leaks and things.
From a parts stand point the CPU's are worth a good 200k alone if not more.

Good if you can repair some of the damages and rent it out.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
I am not sure if CPUs really worth anything. Market is already flooded with them, so many cpus from good days of intel. Not sure there are enough MBs to hold them.

Reactions: Patrick and Samir

Jaket

Jan 4, 2017
Seattle, New York
purevoltage.com
I am not sure if CPUs really worth anything. Market is already flooded with them, so many cpus from good days of intel. Not sure there are enough MBs to hold them.
There is a semi lack of motherboards but a lot of people still running older v3's even who would love to upgrade to those CPU's.
Currently they're in the $45-50 range. They I am sure would sell like hot cakes at $25 each. But again big waste of time.
Best option would be popping it into a DC and connecting it up as is and renting those out but it's already an old system.

It will be interesting to see what it goes for. If we had more time to remove everything we'd do 100k on it.

Reactions: Samir

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
There is a semi lack of motherboards but a lot of people still running older v3's even who would love to upgrade to those CPU's.
Currently they're in the $45-50 range. They I am sure would sell like hot cakes at $25 each. But again big waste of time.
Best option would be popping it into a DC and connecting it up as is and renting those out but it's already an old system.

It will be interesting to see what it goes for. If we had more time to remove everything we'd do 100k on it.
How can you cover the labor costs at $25, even at $40 :) Shipping, cost of packaging, labor of removing, cost of sales.

Reactions: Samir and nexox

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021

45-50$ units would need to be much lower than 25$ to sell like hot cakes.

They are already below that in small lots without that selling much.

When picking up a pallet of v3/v4 era CTOs at 50-80$/ea they often include cpus that would list at 35-40/ea without mentioned in listing.
Just not worth their time to pull, most large liquidators already have more of them sitting than they expect to ever sell.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick and Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
This system is definitely making the rounds--this is the third site where I've read about this auction. :D

Would make one heck of a homelab, but you'd have to have one heck of a home first. ;)

Reactions: NachoCDN

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
This system is definitely making the rounds--this is the third site where I've read about this auction. :D

Would make one heck of a homelab, but you'd have to have one heck of a home first. ;)
If you want to start smaller a single opencompute rack out of Facebook etc cost almost nothing when they pop up :D

Paid 1000€ per complete 21" 48v racks including 45x v3/v4 servers last time i picked up some.

Getting parts is GLHF tho.
But atleast its fairly standard nodes you can just reuse, not proprietary blades like the cheyenne one.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
If you want to start smaller a single opencompute rack out of Facebook etc cost almost nothing when they pop up :D

Paid 1000€ per complete 21" 48v racks including 45x v3/v4 servers last time i picked up some.

But atleast its fairly standard nodes you can just reuse, not proprietary blades like the cheyenne one.
Wow, that's a pretty good price for 45 servers. Of course data centers are throwing this stuff out so would have to make sure a good solar power infrastructure is there first. ;)

chrgrose

Jul 18, 2018
2697v4 value is currently around $40/unit, but you wont sell them all immediately. Almost all dimms are going to be 8GB.

So you are probably looking at around 300k in actual CPU+RAM resale value. No idea what the value is of the other components. I assume the thousands of drives that form the storage arrays for these servers are not included.

If anyone knows the eventual buyer, I would be love to help decommission at the cost of a suitcase of CPUs/RAM :)

Reactions: nexox and Samir

chrgrose

Jul 18, 2018

Where do fresh decommissions like that normally pop up?

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
Where do fresh decommissions like that normally pop up?
For Europe its domestic listing/auction sites and usualy a few on ebay from those buying a lot to resell.
A company will take the decomission job and charge for the removal and expected recycling cost, then try to resell atleast some of it to reduce recycle cost.

They wont list much as the market for 21" 12/48v is extremely limited but do great deals on each rack they can get out the door, as its more about saving cost than getting much for it.
Just has to still be worth it to spend the manhours dealing with buyers and arranging the shipping.

When a machine about a quarter of chayennes size was decomissioned last year here in Norway they paid close to 50k for somebody to come take it away.
Its such niche hardware that it was just a public bid contract as ewaste removal, there was no expectation of being able to sell it.

Reactions: chrgrose