I did a stupid (H11SSL-i)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dragon2611

Apr 11, 2024
I used the sup tool from Linux to flash the bios on a H11SSL-i (in a 1013S-MTR), but It seems I downloaded the bios for a Rev2 board and I have a rev1 so It tried to flash a 32MB bios to a 16MB board (Surprised it didn't error, but it claimed it did it OK so I didn't even realise my mistake until too late).

Just for extra fun the machine is remote asking someone to try the bios recovery procedure (https://www.supermicro.com/manuals/other/UEFI_BIOS_Recovery.pdf ) but I think I've probably bricked it. (Unless it's stuck on a prompt and using the dGPU that's in that box).

Reason I was flashing the bios is I wanted to see if it would help with passing through the A310 LP I had in there, I got the card working mostly in a windows vm, but it was complaining about Rebar, couldn't seem to get it to play nice with a Linux VM, it would see the card but any transcodes that were trying to use it would just fail.

I guess if recovery doesn't work It was an expensive whoopsie and I might have to see if anyone's selling another one cheap.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
Depending on your location you can also contact gpu repair people they have tools to flash or replace your bios chip.

dragon2611

Apr 11, 2024
I’ll get someone to give the usb recovery thing a try but I think I suspect I’ve toasted it, well that was an expensive mistake thankfully I got the pair of them fairly cheap but still

dragon2611

Apr 11, 2024
Does anyone know if it should be called Super.ROM , SUPER.ROM or super.rom

the pdf I linked says Super.ROM but then I’ve found other places (even on sm site) where it’s in both lowercase and all uppercase

dragon2611

Apr 11, 2024
I think the flash tools are freedos based, they likely don't care about CaSe SeNsItIvItY....
The recovery procedure isn’t it will be baked into the boot loader assuming that’s intact enough to do it.

basically have a file of that name on a usb key and mash ctrl+ home I think it was then pray to the server gods and If lucky it will reflash