Home Install - What Cabling Would You Use?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

klui

Feb 3, 2019
I use the following fiber cleaners:
  • Fluke
  • Fujikura
  • IBC/US Conec
I typically use them dry and click/pull roller twice per ferrule and jack but I do have a Fluke cleaning kit that comes with cleaning fluid and accessories for wet applications as well as swabs for couplers. You'd need an inspection scope to determine if wet cleaning is required. For hobbyists like us just blind clean unless you have a scope. Using a scope requires more than twice the amount of work because some scopes will have a certifier and that will take more time. The problem with getting scopes on eBay is you need to make sure the right types of tips you need are included. Tips are costly if purchased separately, especially for MPO--typically 2-3x the cost of LC/SC due to the ability for panning across the width of the connector during inspection. Special angled tips are required for APC.

There are cassette-type cleaners that are refillable. They are semi-universal and will clean most types of fiber. One must choose the right type with channels to clean pinned MPO connectors. But they only clean cables, not ports/jacks/transceivers. Refillable one-click cleaners are available from Senko. Their cartridges expensive at retail and you can get a new complete cleaner cheaper on eBay than retail refill price. I don't see one-click cartridges on eBay very often.

Of course there are lesser-/unknown brands but I try to avoid them. Cleaners are the last line of defense in avoiding damage to the ferrules and transceivers. It's especially important if you have any trunk cables installed throughout your premises.

Reactions: piranha32

Terry Wallace

PsyOps SysOp
Aug 13, 2018
Central Time Zone
One thing to note between the fiber and cat6 7 8 network cable... The SM fiber that I posted a few messages back.. I use at 10G 50G and 100G in my office right now. That ethernet cable is not going to hit 100G no matter which one you install
:). My 45cents worth

Last edited:

nimajneb

Apr 14, 2024
I'm going to run a mixture of Cat5 and SMF OS2 fiber when I get time. I have almost all the materials.

piranha32

Mar 4, 2023
If you want to build on a budget, and plan to start with 10G and upgrade later, choice between single and multi mode fiber can be tricky. Most of the cheap 10G equipment uses MM fiber. Modules for SM can be difficult to find, and probably long range (you may have to use attenuates on short runs).
OTOH, I have not seen any 100+G module using MM fiber, only SM. IIRC the fastest module I saw using MM fiber was 25G.

nimajneb

Apr 14, 2024
If you want to build on a budget, and plan to start with 10G and upgrade later, choice between single and multi mode fiber can be tricky. Most of the cheap 10G equipment uses MM fiber. Modules for SM can be difficult to find, and probably long range (you may have to use attenuates on short runs).
OTOH, I have not seen any 100+G module using MM fiber, only SM. IIRC the fastest module I saw using MM fiber was 25G.
Yea, I have a mixture of 1G RJ45 and 40Gb fiber. I have the server and one desktop connected via fiber currently, the other PC is on the second floor. When I have time I'm going to distribute Cat6 to some rooms and fiber to the office room with the second computer.