Here's a $1.3k switch for you: 18x 40Gig QSFP and 40x 10gig SFP+

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kristian

Jun 1, 2013
Could somebody tell me if those would be expected to play nicely with the Brocade 1020 that I have?
Direct Connection sucks a bit.

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
Wish I was not going away on vacation next week otherwise would have picked one up

Cipher if you end up deciding that you don't want it let me know I am sure we could work out something :). In canada as well so shipping will not be an issue

Cipher

Aug 8, 2014
Cipher if you end up deciding that you don't want it let me know I am sure we could work out something :). In canada as well so shipping will not be an issue
Will do, Pyro. I'm hoping this will allow me to easily connect multiple servers/workstations and get 10/40GB speeds as I'm heavily invested in Hyper-V development for all my clients and need to start expanding my knowledge of some of it's more powerful features (hyper-v over SMB, clustering, live migration).

I'm just getting up to speed on SFP+ & QFSP vs 10GBaseT as I'm building a network based on the latter in my home and I now need to understand how this switch could be integrated into that. When I get a chance, I'll create a new topic with all my questions so not to distract from this thread.

Piglover, if these end up being too loud, I hope you can come up with a quieter solution similar the C6100 taming project!

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
@PigLover would you mind letting me know when you have an ETA. I want to see how long it would take to ship one of these to the Bay Area.
They just sent me a tracker. Apparently shipped yesterday (8/21) and Fedex shows delivery for 8/25, so 1 day handling & 5 days transit (spanning a weekend). Not too bad.

I'll let you know if it really shows up Monday.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
...Piglover, if these end up being too loud, I hope you can come up with a quieter solution similar the C6100 taming project!
Unfortunately not too likely. Schedule for the next few months doesn't leave me a lot of time to play with my toys (tears). Also, not sure how much I will care as I don't really need it and didn't really mean to buy it - was just probing with an "offer" to see how they would counter and was a bit shocked to get the auto-accept. Obviously should have probed lower ;)

sergeant72

Nov 27, 2012
Piglover and Cipher, thank you for your posts.
I managed to pick up last one for the offer of $500 , $75 shipping and 13% tax on everything, which was auto-accepted. i didn't want to try lower as it was a last one and there were 3 pending offers at the time.
One thing to note is that statement:
Item will be updated with latest firmware(2.6.4) and covered under warranty for any failed ports.
Ports will not be tested at this time.

Wondering what would be the procedure to follow if you do get a failed port(s).

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@Cipher - welcome to the dark side!

I saw Kurt in your video just a few weeks ago. Fun!

I am interested to see how these things perform/ get setup. If they work, they are a really amazing value.

Cipher

Aug 8, 2014
Patrick, thanks for the welcome and it sounds like you run in the right circles!

My shipping notice came in toward the end of last week and it looks like it should arrive this Friday. I spoke with the seller and they are sending just the switch and power cords. No original box, rack-mount rails or manual. However, he was able to provide me with a Gnodal CLI Quick Reference PDF which I've uploaded in case anyone else can use it.

If anyone can find the original manual, I would love to get a copy.

Attachments

Reactions: Patrick

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Awesome on that QRG! Mine should be getting here in a few days.

ehorn

Jun 21, 2012
latency specs look great... power consumption is not bad either.

500.00USD is a great deal. very nice looking unit. looking forward to some reports.

sales@gnodal.com may have a digital copy of the manual.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Great work guys.

So I ended up taking the plunge on a Gnodal GS0018 - 18 port QSFP+ 40GbE that you can split to up to 72x 10GbE. I got mine for $750 but then another seller said he would take $600 OBO or $550/ea on 2. Oh well.

Here is one auction style with 15h left $450:
New Gnodal GS0018 Layer 2 Low Latency Ethernet 18X40GBE or 72X10GBE QSFP Ports | eBay

Here is a $1300 one that I bet you could best offer to $600-650:
GS0018 Gnodal 18 Port QSFP 40GBE L2 Switch | eBay

I still am slightly worried about how well these will work. Then again, at the price I am at least intrigued. Especially since we know that in a few weeks 40GbE is going to be all the rage.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Should work with the VPI cards in EN (ethernet) mode. Proof should come soon as several folks here seem to have them coming. Mine is sitting on my porch now...

Reactions: MiniKnight

Cipher

Aug 8, 2014
Quick question for the networking types. Over a year ago I picked up two 10G patch panels (Belden AX103256) with 48 10GBASE-T connectors on each panel. My intent was, and still is, to run 10G Ethernet throughout my home and have 96 wired connections from across all three floors ending back at these patch panels in my basement.

With this Gnodal GS4008 and it's SFP+/QFSP connectors is there any way to run cables from the patch panels directly to the Gnodal switch? Or will I also need a 10GBASE-T switch with a few SFP+ or QFSP connectors that sits between the 10GBASE-T patch panels and the Gnodal switch?

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
As far as I know there would not be any way to hook up the 10gb-t to it. You will need a switch with sfp+ ports on it to plug into this one