Hearing protection for servers

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mikeinnyc

Feb 13, 2024
I've been around loud server equipment for a few years in my now and I was wondering what hearing protection you guys are using?

I recently switched from my gun hearing protection yellow color to Sony Wh-1000x5 because it has noise cancelation, which almost eliminates the loud high pitched humming.

My server equipment is located outside my home office. I recently added a sound proof door to 45dbs which helped but anytime I move around its annoying with always wearing hearing protection. Changing fans won't work I tried. I have supermicro and Lenovo nodes and they are loud. Wearing hearing protection is fine but not sure if the noise cancelation actually stops hearing loss from occurring. Anyone have experience in wearing n/c headphones? I can't tell if the nodes are on from my office or shouldI just move to another location?

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
I'd just wear earplugs or simple dumb ear protection headphones to be safe. I don't know much about ANC, I wouldn't necessary trust it, as it doesn't eliminate the sound pressure afaict. I know its annoying.

DavidWJohnston

Sep 30, 2020
Now I always use disposable foam earplugs, same as I use in my home metal shop.

I've used the earmuff style of hearing protection, but I always ended up hitting them against objects, which ironically causes a very loud noise inside the earmuffs. Disposable earplugs are much better in my opinion.

Reactions: marunjar

SloppyDisk

Jul 18, 2023
Last time I was on site at a seriously loud (I think 85+ db, one of the loudest I’ve worked at) COLO I stole some 3M ‘ear defenders’, and I have to say they fit nice and work well. Was not able to try the Bluetooth headphone part because they were dead.

Would buy if I was still doing a ton of site work. Unfortunately now just in house and local jobs.