Great Deals - expired deals on-going discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
I've noticed that many "active" threads in this subforum are often deals taken in past which have evolved into on-going discussions by members who got the deal. This causes the first page of the Great Deals to be cluttered with many threads that are not really "Deals".
Suggestion:
  1. Option1: Would it be possible to create an "Archive" section and move expired deal threads there
  2. Option2: Relocate threads to existing relevant forums such as Processors/Motherboard, HDD/SSD, Networking etc

piranha32

Mar 4, 2023
The problem with moving expired deals threads is that the deal sometimes return, with even better deal. Great examples are the Inspur HBA cards, or various Wyse/TMM computers.
This can be pretty confusing, but its still better than flipping threads between forum sections.

Ideally, discussions should be moved to appropriate forum section, and threads in "Deals" should be limited to updates. But this, I think, is unenforceable.

Reactions: chinesestunna

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
The problem with moving expired deals threads is that the deal sometimes return, with even better deal. Great examples are the Inspur HBA cards, or various Wyse/TMM computers.
This can be pretty confusing, but its still better than flipping threads between forum sections.

Ideally, discussions should be moved to appropriate forum section, and threads in "Deals" should be limited to updates. But this, I think, is unenforceable.
Agree, option 2 would allow the convo to continue while any new deals/updates can start a new thread in Great Deals (poster can choose to link to OG thread as reference)

Reactions: zunder1990

Jorge Perez

Dec 8, 2019
Could also disable comments on deal posts, so only the deal is posted.

Then have the discussion in the appropriate section.

nmpu

Sep 22, 2023
Bradenton, Florida, USA
The EXPIRED tag should be (inversely) replaced with ACTIVE. Who wants to filter by EXPIRED deals?

Policy should then be for the OP to maintain ACTIVE. If sold-out, community can alert OP. After some reasonable period, community reports post and admin verifies that ACTIVE should be removed.

I don't know if the forum can support the feature, but community (all registered users) access to the ACTIVE tag would be ideal. The last one out turns off the lights.

Another idea would be to only remain ACTIVE for 10 days unless OP resets. It seems like this logic could be easily performed directly on the backend database. You might need to add a column (or new table) to log when ACTIVE was applied.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rand__